My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Day 131-I Still Kinda Think the Book of Mormon is True. 08-06-06

It’s Fast Sunday. We just got home from church. Since I fasting and won’t be eating during my lunch time, I’ll write some of the things that happened today in Sunday school. C did not come to church today. She said earlier that her schedule is really busy right now but should calm down after the 10th. We’ll try to teach her later this week and see about her coming to church next Sunday. R showed up again. It’s always nice to see him. We plan on going over to visit him tomorrow sometime. Maybe teach him a lesson or something.

Brother G taught in the Priesthood session today. He talked about the 4th lesson in Preach My Gospel. The Commandments, Exodus 20:3-17, see also Mosiah 12:35 and 13:12-24.) He showed us a numerical way to remember the 10 commandments.

#1 is One. That’s not too hard to remember, is it? One. No other God’s before me.

#2 is Zoo. When you go to the National Zoo, what’s the first thing you see? Lions. At the entrance to the zoo, they have these big statues of lions. No graven images.

#3 is tree. What do trees have? Leaves. And how do they get nourishment to the tree? Veins. Thou shalt not take the Lord’s name in vain. (They get worse than this, I promise)

#4 is fort. When you attack the enemy’s fort, what do you use? Cannons. You use a cannon to blow a hole in the wall. Keep the Sabbath day HOLY.

#5 is family. This one is easy. Honor thy father and thy mother.

#6 is sticks. If you hit someone over the head with a stick, they will die. Thou shalt not kill.

#7 is Heaven. You won’t get into heaven if you do this…Thou shalt not commit adultery.

#8 is gate. The pearly gate that leads into heaven is made of what? Steel. Thou shalt not steal.

#9 is sign. What do billboards do? They advertise. Thou shalt not bear false witness.

#10 is tent. What do tents do? They cover things. Thou shalt not covet.

“Memorize this and you’ll always remember the 10 Commandments”, said Brother G.

After church today we visited with J. We had planned to teach him the 4th lesson, but when we got there, he had some deep searching questions that he wanted to ask us. “Who is God?” he asked. We went over how God is our loving Heavenly Father and what His plan is for us. He then asked, “Where do we go when we die?” We read him the great scripture in Alma 40:11-12. “Now concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection-behold it has been made known unto me by an angel that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God that gave them life. And then it shall come to pass that the spirits of those that are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care and sorrow.” J liked those verses.

We talked about going to the Visitor’s Center with J sometime this week. He needs to check his schedule. He told us to see him tomorrow afternoon so we can talk about it. He’s progressing a lot better than he was before. Since he’s already seen the new Joseph Smith movie, we plan on watching The Testaments with him. I still haven’t seen it, so it’ll be a real treat for me as well.

Uh-oh. That’s the same thing I wrote when we planned to go with S {day 115}. I hope this does not jinx it. Knock on wood. (knock, knock, knock)

Let’s see…a lot of good things happened today. It’s gonna be hard to pick a favorite for my happy thought…

Happy Thing for Day 131: The thought of going to the Visitor’s Center with J to watch The Testaments. We don’t even know if it’s going to happen, but at this point it makes me happy just to think that it might happen.

And here I was thinking I’d end my journal entry on that high note…At 9:50 tonight we got a phone call. Now, as missionaries, we expect calls around now because our district leaders call us to see how our day went. Elder Oram doesn’t usually call until around 10:00pm, but he had also talked about going on an exchange tomorrow after meetings, so I assumed that it was either him or Elder Phelps. It was neither.

It was D, the less active Mormon/switched to Catholic two days ago. And here I was thinking I might not ever see him again. “Hey, guys,” he said. “I don’t know what I was thinking. I don’t really want to go to the Catholic church.” (Pause) “I still kinda think the Book of Mormon is true. I just don’t have a real strong testimony of it yet.” (Pause) “Yes, Brother O,” said I, “developing your own testimony of the Book of Mormon is important. Would it be okay if we stopped by and visited with you tomorrow after lunch?” I said. “Sure. Whatever,” he said. “Okay, bye.” “Bye (click).” I told Elder Pierce what happened on the phone with Brother O. He said, “Okay, D is crazy. He’s going straight to the Celestial kingdom because he’s not accountable for his choices.” Definitely an interesting turn of events…

Okay, so tomorrow looks kind of fun. Brother O wants us to meet with him, plus we’re gonna go see J about a Visitor’s Center trip later in the week, and M wants to see us as well. Tomorrow – Monday Meetings plus exchanges. Busy, busy, busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home