My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Day 135-Visiting A Friend-08-10-06

Today was a fun exchange with Elder Phelps. We tried to go over and see C today. We had an exchange and everything. Brother B came with us. He and his family were our dinner appointment tonight. Brother B is a great man. He told us, “ I like going on exchanges with you guys right after dinner at our house. Brother G gave me the idea.” Brother G {Day 131} signs up to go on exchanges with us and feed us the first Thursday of every month. As a missionary, I like that plan. It gives us something to talk about at dinner. When we sit to eat with a member who is going on exchanges we can talk about the plan for the evening. It’s really convenient.

So we went with Brother B to see C. She wasn’t home. That’s okay, though. She told us that she would be done with her summer school on the 10th. That’s today, so next week should be wide open to visit her. We’ll still try to stop by tomorrow or Saturday to see about her coming to church.

Which brings me to my Happy Thought for Day 135: After we weren’t able to meet with C, I turned to Elder Phelps and Brother B and said, “Brothers, I feel and the Spirit seems to accord, that our next course of action should be the visiting of our former investigator to the church, S.” I hadn’t spoken with S since the now infamous phone call on {Day 120} in which she told us that she’d no longer be taking the discussions. We agreed to go visit her.

I knocked on her door. S yelled excitedly, “Elder Pierce!” She ran outside and gave me a hug. My whole body went rigid. “Uh, you’re not supposed to hug me,” I thought. It was only a quick hug. When she let go, she said, “I’m sorry. I just remembered that I’m not supposed to give you guys hugs. But, I couldn’t help it. I missed you so much! It’s been a while since I’ve seen you.”

We talked for a little while. We didn’t ask her about why she decided to stop investigating the church; just light conversation. S was promoted to trail-leader at the horse ranch where she works. She did tell us, “I want you guys to know that you had an impact on me. The things you shared with me, I’ve thought about during church.” I got some mixed signals tonight. I’m not sure if S wants to learn more about our church or not. She told us not to be strangers and that we could visit her anytime. I guess I’ll have to try to be bold. Last Sunday I talked with her neighbor Sister H and how we should approach S so as not to offend her. Sister H said that S is pretty tough and that she did not think we could say anything that would offend her.

S also told us that Elder Buttars had written her a nice letter. It’s so good to hear that Elder Buttars kept in touch with S. I’m gonna be sure and write to her too. I just can’t help but wonder why she decided to stop investigating the church. I know that S needs to be sealed to her family in the temple. All these blessings are there waiting for her if she will only take more time to find out about them.

I think I’ll ask her if she wants to watch the Bruce R. McConkie dvd on the Atonement. S never did get to watch it. I don’t know. Maybe she does not need that right now. Maybe she just needs someone to talk to who can answer her questions; or maybe she isn’t ready for lessons again, yet. I want S to be ready so badly, but it just might not be time yet. We’ll see. Either way, it was nice to talk to her today.

Well, today was very good. Tomorrow I get my companion, Elder Pierce, back from Reston. Elder Chacon and Elder Gleave will come and pick us up and take us to interviews with the mission president and his wife. Should be lots of fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home