My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 175-Obeying a Prompting

Today we had meetings where as normal, they would have been yesterday. Since we had exchanges yesterday, I was still with Elder W. We would exchange back at our meeting.

While we were waiting for Elder C. to pick us up, Elder W, who had been sitting, reflecting on his mission said,"You know, Elder P. I am really going to miss this." "Being on a mission?" I asked him. "Yeah, but it's not just that. I'm gonna miss all of the rules." "The rules?" I asked. "Yeah." he said. "I know that might seem like a strange thing to say, but I have come to know that these rules are here so that we can receive the blessings that come from obedience."

At meetings today we got a lesson from Elder H. The subject was on the gifts of the Spirit. Elder H told us a story that happened to him before his mission. He went on a double date with some of his friends back home. They went hiking in the woods. At the top of a large hill was a steep slope. Elder H. started down first. (He wasn't called Elder at the time) It was a very steep slope. To make sure he didn't lose his balance and fall, he sat down and scooted down the hill.

At the bottom of the slope was about a 3 foot drop onto a narrow path. The path curved around the hill and at the edge of this narrow path was a deep drop. Elder H. said, "I made it down to the bottom of the hill safely. I looked over the edge of the narrow path and saw a long drop. I looked behind me up the slope and saw my friends coming down the hill.' The two girls were scooting slowly down like Elder H had done. Then he saw his friend, Cliff. Cliff had tried to come down the steep slope by walking. Before he got too far, Cliff lost control. He was running down the slope, picking up speed, because of the steep incline of the hill.

Cliff looked panicked as he neared the bottom of the hill. He jumped and landed on his feet right beside Elder H. Cliff's feet were hanging over the edge of the narrow path. It looked like Cliff might fall...over the cliff. He began to flail his arms about like a windmill, hoping to regain his balance. Elder H was right beside him and was about to reach out and grab him, but was restrained by the spirit. Elder H felt prompted that if he tried to grab his friend, Cliff would fall over the edge. So Elder H stayed his hand and his friend did not fall.

Later Elder H told Cliff that he didn't know what he'd have done if Cliff would have fallen. "I guess I'd have to tell your parents." "Yeah," said Cliff. "I know just what my dad would have said." "What's that?" said Elder H. Cliff answered, "He would've asked you to climb down that deep drop and get my shoes 'cause they cost a pretty penny." They had a good laugh about that. Elder H said how thankful he was that he had listened to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. It must have taken real faith to listen and obey and trust that all would be well.

Happy Thing for Day 175- A clean apartment! (Inspections were yesterday) I'm tired! Good Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home