My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Day 162-Irritants and a Happy Thing- 09-06-06

Well…our apartment looks a bit better. We still have a little more work to do. I’m going to take a break and write letters, then I will get back to cleaning. I’ll try to write in my journal later.

Something I left off of Day 160: When we got home from ZC, there was a message from W (See Day 140).

Now, most messages from W are harmless enough. He’s just crazy. For example, here’s a message W left on our phone a month ago. “Elder Pierce Sr. This isn’t you, Elder Pierce Jr. This is to Elder Pierce Sr., The guy that’s the oldest. I don’t think it’s fair that you weren’t in a Rocky movie, Elder Pierce Sr. And that I want to see you in a Rocky movie. I don’t want Sylvester Stallone to play Rocky. I want YOU to play Rocky. All right, Bye!” (That’s W)

As missionaries, each apartment has a phone for each companionship. The Sr. partner is in charge of the phone and the phone travels with him from transfer to transfer. My companion likes to save funny messages from other missionaries, members or investigators. He had several stored on his answering machine including a couple from W.

When we got home from ZC, there was a message. It was from W. Uh, oh…W has gone too far. The message that he made was of him quoting different lines from the messages that were saved on my companion’s answering machine. The only way W could have known these things is if he’d been able to listen to our messages; because we sure didn’t talk to him about them.

What happened was: the last time W tried to call us, apparently he pushed some buttons at random and hit on the code to be able to check messages over the phone. My companion admitted that the code was pretty easy to crack. Because the phone was given to him by another missionary, he does not have the instruction booklet to know how to change the phone code. We called the mission office and told them what happened. We were able to get our number changed for free. So, no harm done, right? Not quite. The number that we used to have, (before it got changed because of W), was the same number that the missionaries in the Herndon ward had for over 10 years. That means that written in the Book of Mormons that we have given out, and all of the Book of Mormons that have been given out in the past 10 years in Herndon, have all had the same phone number…which is now disconnected. This turn of events is kind
of disheartening. So, hopefully if someone does try to contact the missionaries from the old phone number, they will be redirected to our new number. Thanks, W. (sigh) {“Why don’t you just gimme a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?” Miracle Max-The Princess Bride} On the plus side, this may be the last of W and his strange messages.

Happy Thing for Day 162: Sister B called tonight. I was able to talk with her a bit which is always a treat. I told her that our number got changed and why. I told her about W and the non-stop phone calls. I told her that my mom sent me an email asking me to thank her for all that she had done to help me, like getting me a new bike light (Day 137). Sister B told me that yesterday was her birthday. “Your birthday?!!!” I asked. “Yeah,” said Sister B. “Why didn’t you call me yesterday to wish me a Happy Birthday. W remembered. Ha! Ha!” Oh, Sister B, you have such a quick wit. I love it! Sister B asked us if we would like to get together tomorrow for lunch. We said that we’d love to, but her husband would need to be there. She said, “Don’t worry. I’ll drag him along.” So…oh boy! Lunch with Sister B and her husband. That promises to be fun.

Okay, now here’s what happened yesterday (Day 161-aside from it being Sister B’s birthday). Remember when my companion broke the rim of his bike tire. Whenever a bike repair needs to be made, we always go out on the patio. My companion opens the door. “Yaah!” he shouted. “Not you again!” Covering the patio door was this giant, fine-woven spider web. The is the 2nd web we’ve had in as many days. The other day when we got back from ZC, there was a giant spider web covering the patio door. My companion almost walked into it, but stopped just in time. He is extremely arachnophobic. He can not stand spiders. So he got a golf club (yes we have a golf club in our apartment, but only one, though) and my companion proceeded to tear down the spider web. He tore it down two days ago and he tore it down yesterday. Personally, I don’t care about spiders one way or another, but with apartment inspections coming up, it’s probably best to get rid of all spider webs. My companion said that he would continue to knock them down. We haven’t been able to catch the spider that is making them. There was a giant yesterday and the day before, but not today. Maybe our spider friend got the hint and will try to build its web somewhere else. Well, enough talk about spiders. I’m going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home