My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Day 159 continued…Blessing a Baby, Word of Wisdom and a Holy Roller…

Okay, I have some catching up to do. I forgot to mention N’s baby. On Day 96, I mentioned that N had lost her voice. On Day 128, I mentioned that their family moved. Here is what I left out:

While it is true that V and her son D moved, N, her daughter stayed behind. What I did not mention before was that N was expecting. Elder Pierce and I went to President P’s house to teach A on Day 150. What I did not have time to talk about was what we did after. On Day 150 I said, “Busy day. Lots of things happened.” What that was in reference to was President P taking us over to the D’s house. The D family had been letting N stay with them until time for her baby to be born. Her baby was born on July 26. She wanted President P to see her baby, so we all went over and got to see her new-born baby, J. N wanted to know if President P would bless her baby in Sacrament meeting on the 3rd of September. President P said that he would be honored.

So, that is what happened today. I wasn’t able to be there because I was running around with Brother C trying to get A to church. My companion said everything went fine and that baby J got blessed today.

In sacrament meeting today, V, N’s mom, gave a stirring testimony. She said how thankful she was to have been a part of the Herndon ward. (V and D came to church today along with other family members and friends to watch the baby get blessed). She said how she loved her new ward, but that it was not the same as the Herndon ward or its members. She thanked Brother and Sister H for being such good friends and a home teacher to their family. She thanked the D family for taking N in and letting her stay in their home for a while. Then she thanked President P. President P was the one who first talked to V and her family about joining the church. She said that President JP had been their guardian angel who helped to guide them to the true church of Jesus Christ. V said that was why N named her baby J, after JP, so that the family would never forget him. Or the many blessings their family enjoys now because of his willingness to share the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ with them. Today was a good day at church.

After church, Brother N gave us a ride back to his house to teach J. We had a really good lesson today. We went there to teach about the commandments and were able to answer some questions he had about the Word of Wisdom. The reason behind the WoW: It’s not so much about “no coffee” as it’s about staying in control of your own body. Brother N shared with us the introductory verses of the WoW. He read, “A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, also the saints in Zion-to be sent greetings; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days-Given for a principle with a promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints who are or can be called saints.”

Brother N then said, “J, I’ve been studying the Word of Wisdom recently and I noticed something that I had never noticed before. In verse 3 it says that the WoW is “adapted to the weak and weakest of the saints.” “I now feel that I have a better understanding of what that verse means. I could drink a glass of wine and it would not kill me. Not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic. I don’t drink or smoke, though, because it’s a commandment. The Lord said not to.

Brother N continued. “Smoking and alcohol are addictive. We don’t use these substances because we can become addicted to them. The Word of Wisdom is there to help the weakest among us.” “No, I agree with that,” said J. “I don’t smoke or drink either. I was just wondering about tea. I like to drink green tea now and then, but the Word of Wisdom says no. I know it has caffeine in it, but so does Mountain Dew.” I fielded this one. “The Word of Wisdom is a guide to help us avoid addictions. There are two kinds of people. Those that keep the letter of the law and those that keep the spirit of the law. The letter of the law says no tea, no coffee. The spirit of the law says don’t rely on a substance to help you wake up or give you a buzz. That’s how addictions start. When people begin to depend on anything to help them get through the day, whether it’s a cigarette or Mountain Dew, if you crave it and can only think about the next time you have one, that is where the danger lies. One reason we have the Word of Wisdom is to teach us about what is harmful to our bodies. This information was around long before any doctors validated that caffeine or smoking was not for the body. The Word of Wisdom is given to us to help keep us healthy if we will study it and abide by its principles. D & C 89: 18-20 “And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; and shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; and shall run and not be weary and shall walk and not faint.” This is the blessing and promise of the Word of Wisdom.

We also watched a dvd I brought about temples and the purpose of temples. We were able to answer a lot of J’s questions that he had regarding temples. I felt very good after our lesson. I think J is progressing nicely. He could be reading more from the Book of Mormon, but nobody’s perfect. We’ll continue to work with him. The N family has been a big help and is indispensable in being there to help support J as he has been taking the discussions. As Brother N drove my companion and me home, he said that he planned on inviting J to their family's nightly scripture study. Looking at J’s progression, I can’t help but realize how much more A must do before he can be baptized. His baptism that was set for the 23rd won’t be able to happen.

We had planned to teach JA after J, but our appointment ran long. I called JA and told him that we might be running late, but he said it would not work today anyway. So, we set up a time for Tuesday.

Wow! Today sure was busy. I’ve got a Happy Thing for Day 159: Today my companion and I saw the “Holy Roller” again (flashback to Day 109). We were biking past the Giant grocery store and she called out to us. “Hey Mormons!” she said. “What’re you doing outside your temples?” I was so happy to see her again. I waved and said, “So nice to see you again. Have a good Sabbath day!” I meant it, too. I asked my companion, “Quick! Can we go talk to her?” He said, “No, Elder Pierce. You just want to go and bug her.” “Who, me? No. Never!... Well, maybe a little bit…” So, yeah, we did not stop to talk with her. We just wished her a good day.

Tomorrow is Zone conference! The topic: Relying on the Spirit. I’ll be sure to take notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home