My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Day 176 continued-9/20/06-Becoming a "Real" Boy

Saw A today. He was getting ready to go out someplace with D and another person I had not met yet. A. had an unlit cigarette in his mouth when we walked up. He quickly took it out. D. had a lit cigarette and was smoking, while the other man that I had not met had a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. We still had not addressed A's smoking. We talked about meeting with A tomorrow evening. He said he won't be able to come to church on Sunday. Even though his case was thrown out, he still has to spend some time in jail. Four days in jail and then he can put this behind him.

I'm deeply concerned that A is making the same choices and hanging out with the same people that he was before he went to jail back in June. Did you ever get the feeling that you are a Jiminey Cricket surrounded by Pleasure Island? I love Walt Disney's Pinocchio. The animation is wonderful, but I have always loved the story of Pinocchio. I mean, it shows our beliefs. We are all here with imperfect bodies. We came here so that we might choose good over evil. We're given a conscience to help us. Our goal is to return to our Father and become as He is. We can all become "real boys" in that sense.

Of course, it's only through Jesus Christ that any of this is possible, but Pinocchio is an example of our potential and what we need to do to achieve it.

In thinking about A and his situation, I'm reminded of something I read during my scripture studies a few days ago. A has told us that he wants to do the right thing, but he continues making wrong choices. I 2 Nephi 4:15-35(bits and pieces anyway)Nephi writes the things of his soul. "For my soul delighteth in the scriptures and my heart pondereth them,...Behold my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord;...Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of my iniquities. I am encompassed about because of the temptations and the sins which do easily beset me...why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow...? And why should I yield to sin because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations that the evil one has placed in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul?...Awake my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul...Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord and say: Oh Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation. O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin? Oh Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever...Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will life up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen"

We will continue to work with A, but in the end, it's up to him. It's his choice.

It was very cold out tonight. I was thankful when it was time to come back home and plan out tomorrow. Our apartment was nice and warm.
Happy Thing for Day 176- A warm home to sleep in. Well, I'm tired. Pretty good P-day, but (sigh) over too soon...see you tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home