My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Day 197 10-11-06 A Refiner's Fire

Ah, P-day. Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Today was a day to unload some stuff. I went through my things and plan to send home whatever is not an absolute necessity (yes, I'm keeping the air-popper with me. It's a necessity!) ("And, that's a good thing to remember." "Yeah, even if you're not a necessity!"- the Smothers Brothers)

I feel a lot better. (I've never felt in better head space."- Mitch, A Mighty Wind*) I've de-junk-ti-fied my living space. As stressed out as I was a week ago, I'm amazed now how much better I feel. (Isn't it wonderful? It couldn't be more wonderful!"-Jack Skellington, the Nightmare Before Christmas*) (*What does Mitch from "A Mighty Wind and Jack Skellington have in common? In both movies, both characters love interests are played by Catherine O'Hara (Micky and Sally)

Of course, that cleaned-up space came at a price. It cost me most of my p-day. (Sigh) No worries, though. This time next week, I'll have a p-day to go and have fun.

Happy Thing for Day 197: We visited with A today. Now, I just got to this area, but A has a history with the church. She began investigating the church over 2 years ago. She's really solid. She loves the church and wants to get baptized. She married R about a year ago and they both began studying with the missionaries. A said, "When the missionaries first came to my door, I didn't want to listen, but something told me to let them in. When they entered my home for the first time, it felt like heaven itself came right in behind them. When they left, I thought to myself that there was something different about those boys, and I wanted to know more."

A's husband R, got baptised 5 months ago. R's had a hard life and looks a lot older than he is. He has a tough outer shell, figuratively speaking. Elder C has told me that's what the church does, it softens hearts. I'm sure with time, R will warm up and be more out-going. R is baptized. We just want to make sure he does not go less-active.

We've been having a hard time getting the Tillman's to go to church. They both work long hours. A loves reading the scriptures. She has her own triple combination (a Bible, Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants) and reads it often. She takes it to her job at Wal-mart. On her breaks she goes out to her car and reads from the Book of Mormon. She said she really loves the book of Alma. She said she can relate to him in a lot of ways.

A told us that she has been reading Alma 5. "Now that is a great chapter", she said. "When I was reading Alma 5 today, it was amazing. I felt like Alma was there next to me, in the car. And he was talking to me, asking me the questions that are in Alma 5."

"Let me share a scripture with you", A said. "This one had a big impact on me. It says in Alma 5:27, "Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?" "Wow, I thought", said A. "That's a good question. And that's just one of the reasons why I love the Book of Alma. He asks you to think. To look at your life. He doesn't just tell you what you need to do. He asks you if you are doing it. I need to be reminded of that from time to time.

I then shared with A one of my favorite scriptures from Alma 5. In Alma 5:14 it says, "And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"

This scripture I like to link to one in the Old Testament. Malachi 3:2-3 says, "But who may abide the day of His coming, and who shall stand when he appeareth? For he is like a refiners fire...And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver..." We've all heard that Jesus Christ is like a refiners fire and that we need to have his image in our countenances.

"Now", I said, "when someone refines gold or silver, they have to get it really hot. They burn the impurities out. It turns into a liquid and then they watch the metal swirl around. As the impurities disappear, the silver becomes more brilliant and reflective. One way a refiner can tell if all of the impurities are gone from the metal is to look into it. If the metal is pure, then the refiner can see his face in it. So it is with us. Jesus Christ is that Refiners fire. When He looks at us, are we like that pure silver? Does he see himself when he looks at us? Have we received His image in our countenances? And if not, why? Let us resolve right now to rid ourselves of impurities; to be pure. To fill ourselves with charity, which is the pure love of Christ." Moroni 7:47

Moroni 7: 47-48 "But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all of the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which He hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ, that ye may become the Sons of God; that when He shall appear, we shall be like him, for we shall see Him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."

A wants to get baptized, but she is on probation. She has been on probation for 2 years. Her probation ends next month, though. We've got it all worked out. President W. is going to come down and give A her baptismal interview November 9th. We then have a baptismal date set for her for November 12th. Then she and her husband can continue their progression together. It's a good day to be a missionary.

Wow! I've been in Dahlgren less than a week and we've already had one baptism and have another one scheduled!

Today, I was also able to write some letters during p-day. I wrote my family, and plan to send some things back. I also wrote Sister B. I thanked her for all the help she gave me and for being a good friend to the missionaries. I was sure to thank her for the "Tickle Me, Elder Pierce" doll. I also wrote S. I hope she is doing well. I'm sure the new elders will be working with her.

Tomorrow is a momentous day for my companion. It's his one year mark!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home