My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Day 106-P-day-P Stands for Pierce-07-12-06

Elder Davis is on the phone now. I’ve just been informed by him that he’s getting transferred. I’m staying. (whew) Elder Davis is going to Fairfax to be a district leader. My new companion’s name is…what!?!...you’ve got to be kidding me. Are you serious? My new companion’s name is Elder Pierce. Out of all of the other missionaries in this mission, the Spirit dictated to pair me up with Elder Pierce. President W. must have had a lot of fun with that revelation. “Let’s see…Elder Pierce….with…Elder Pierce,…” (chuckle)

As some of you may remember, I mentioned Elder Pierce at the temple conference. I never in a million years thought that we’d be paired up as companions. I’ve never even met him, just heard about him. This should be interesting.

Elder McKnight is going. Elder Chacon is staying. Sister Pletch is leaving. I don’t know who’ll take her place. Elder Oram and Elder Phelps are both staying. Elder Davis is leaving. Elder Pierce is staying.

Today is going to be so busy. We are going to leave to teach S in a little bit. In my studies today I found some great scriptures on Adam and Eve. S asked us on Day 98 about how it seems like God set up Adam and Eve. 2Nephi 2:14-16… “there is a God,…And to bring about His eternal purposes…it must needs be that there was opposition; even the forbidden fruit…Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.”

Yesterday when we talked with S, we asked her to read 2Nephi 2. She had not read it as of yet, but promised that she would read it by our meeting today. I hope when she does read it, she pays attention to the words in 2Nephi 2:11, “For it must needs be that there is an opposition in all things…” Hopefully, she will see a parallel between that and what is going on in her church.

We really could not have picked a better topic than Adam and Eve. It’s truly inspired. Elder Davis wants me to remind S what the fruits of the spirit are. Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance, against such there is no law.” If you don’t feel that, what you are told isn’t true. “It is not of the Spirit,” said Elder Davis.

The time is 2:00pm. We talked with S. We could not meet in a member’s home, so we met outside her house. S’s question was, “Why did the fall have to happen?” For a while we kind of went around in circles. S told us that she had read 2Nephi 2. I love it when investigators read! But it only gave her more questions. She asked, “Why would God give them a commandment, if all along he wanted them to break it?”

We talked about a lot of things. Why we needed to come to earth. We came to earth to show our Heavenly Father that we would come here to make choices and to receive a physical body. We told S that there is opposition in all things. God always gives us a choice.

We were way into our meeting. It seemed that we would never get past the idea of God setting Adam and Eve up to fail. I was unsure about what to say to S to help her understand. It was quiet for a moment. No one spoke. At least no one that we could see (veiled reference to the Holy Ghost). I saw a change come over S’s face. Where before she looked puzzled and confused, searching, now she seemed to gain an understanding that I know we didn’t give her. Her face was full of assuredness. “I get it,” she said. “I understand now. God had to give them that commandment so they could know the consequences of sin. That makes sense to me.” S had gained that knowledge by the power of the Holy Ghost.

And then, as if to drive the point home about opposition in all things, the phone rang. S didn’t want to get it right then, but her son brought it to her. It was her church leader. He was calling to confirm the time to meet with S and her husband tonight. He wanted to make sure S understood what kind of people she had been talking to.

We left her with Galatians 5: 22-23. We told her, “S, if you don’t feel these things when they talk with you tonight, then what they are saying is not from the Spirit.” We also gave her Moroni 10:5 to reflect on. “And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home