My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Day 104-The Great Eskimo Hunter-07-10-06

I’m sitting down to breakfast now. We’re going be leaving for our Monday meeting soon. I just wanted to say that R has moved. I don’t think I mentioned it because at the time I was worried about how we were going to get Maddie back from the tow place. But, now things have calmed down, so I figured I had better write it in here. Good-bye R. Good-bye and good luck. Maybe our paths will cross again on my mission. Okay, we’re leaving for meetings. I’ll write more when I have a chance.

Well, today was our last zone meeting before transfers. Elder Davis was asked to prepare a game for our district meeting and I was supposed to give a spiritual thought. My spiritual thought was about staying focused on missionary work. I told the story of the Cold Eskimo.

There once was an Eskimo who was a great hunter. His job was very important. His job was to find food for the people in his village. The village was way up north with the ice and snow…

One day, he took his kayak out on the freezing water to catch some seals, fish, narwhals, and other things. A kayak is a boat made out of animal skins and bones. It is very sturdy and is able to go out in the freezing weather.

It was very cold that day. The wind was blowing very hard. He was freezing out in his kayak. “Gee,” he said, “being a great hunter is not as much fun as I thought it would be.” He could not focus on what he was out there for. All he could think about was how cold he was and how nice it would be to go back to his nice, warm home.

He thought, “It wouldn’t be so bad out here if I had a fire to keep me warm.” He started a fire. It was small at first. That did not keep him very warm, so he made a bigger fire. The fire got bigger and bigger until it spread. He could not contain it. He had to abandon kayak as it burned up.

So there was our brave Eskimo hunter. No warm fire. No kayak. Just the cold Arctic water…If he would have focused on what he needed to do instead of what he wanted to do, he would’ve done okay.

I’m reminded of the scripture, Matthew 6:24. “No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”

Or to paraphrase a saying for our Eskimo friend, “You can’t have your Kayak and heat it, too.”

Elder Davis’ game was cut short unfortunately, so I’ll write some of the best questions in my journal when I have more time. They are questions about funny things from the OT like the cartoon I drew with Elisha on Day 90 of my journal. I want to draw some more funny cartoons for OT scriptures when I have more time.

We taught J at Brother and Sister N’s home. J is dating their daughter M. They both attend the singles ward. J is very knowledgeable about the Bible. We showed him “the cups”. The organization of the church made a lot of sense to him. He asked lots of great questions which we were able to answer. We’ll plan to meet with him again at the N’s next Monday or Tuesday to teach him about the Book of Mormon.

Meeting with S tomorrow seems uncertain at best. We did not get a hold of her today. We are not sure how things are going to work out tomorrow. We’ll just have to wing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home