My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Day 98-Fourth of July Pancake Breakfast-07-04-06

Well, we just got back from the pancake breakfast. I’ll tell you how that went, but first a special thank you to our gracious ride there and back, Brother and Sister B. Thanks for the ride! On the way back, Brother B. gave me a gift that was given to him by Elder B. A burned dvd of Bruce R. McConkie’s farewell talk. “You can reach more people with this than I can”, he said. I’m so happy that I was able to get this talk on dvd. Elder B. said he would try to copy this for me, but he got transferred before he got the chance. I’m so glad that Brother B. gave me his. I’ll put it to good use.

The pancake breakfast went great! There was a flag ceremony. Brother W. was there along with the rest of the Fairfax county firefighters and their fire engines.

S., her two kids and her mother in law showed up with the H. family.

We watched Brother H., a local stage actor, and some other actors from the Sterling Playmakers perform some numbers from the musical “1776”, a play that “puts a human face on the pages of history as we see the men behind the national icons.” They sang a few songs and acted out a few scenes. It was a lot of fun. I think S. and her m-i-l liked it.

Her kids went off to look at the fire trucks. Then they went over to launch some water balloons. One of the members built this massive water balloon launcher. All of the kids went running all over the parking lot to try to catch water balloons. S’s son really got into it. He must have caught 50 balloons or more. He’d catch them and they’d pop on impact. He was pretty wet when it was all over. S said that her son was “100% boy”. S’s daughter also had fun, but she was more careful not to get wet.

S had fun. We talked to her just before we left about coming over today to teach. She said that would be great. We plan to go over the Plan of Salvation with her. We’ll be teaching in the H’s home. Ah, the H. family…where would we be without them?
N. (day 96) was there today with a friend. I did not get to meet the friend. I was busy talking to S. and putting chairs back inside the building. Elder D. could not help much with his arms and all, so he sat and talked with them. Elder D. says he loves how bold N. is. She said, “This is my friend D. I want him to be a member of this church.” From what Elder D. said, D. sounds like he wants to know more. We are teaching him in Sister A’s home tomorrow evening.

So, that’s what happened so far today. We’re almost done with lunch so we’re gonna head back out and see some other people today. I’ll write more later.

Brother D. dropped us off on the H’s street. It was an hour before our appointment with S, so we went tracting on a neighboring street. We hadn’t gone far when we stopped and talked to a man pulling weeds out of his flower beds with his kids. His name was D.

D. is a fundamentalist Christian. He buys into the Trinity. He said, “Frankly, I think you guys are a cult.” He was really nice, though. He said we could come by to talk religion anytime. Most people don’t even allow us that. The only thing I hope for with D. that he won’t just want to talk, but will want to listen with spiritual ears and not think only of the “anti” books he’s read. I did find some common ground, though. D. and his wife home school their three children. They are learning Latin together. What are the odds, huh? For anyone who doesn’t know, I am home schooled and my brothers and I learned Latin together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home