My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Day 137-It Was A Sweetheart of a Light-8-12-06

Today was pretty busy and tomorrow is going to be even busier. I’ll try to get through the events as quickly as I can.

On {Day 118} Elder Pierce and I went to the bike shop to get some parts. One of the things that I got, that I’d needed for a while, was a bike light. I’d gotten a cheaper model, but as it turns out, you get what you pay for. The light wasn’t very bright. Not a great purchase. And to top it off, yesterday when we were biking, I hit a bump and the light flew off. It smashed onto the ground.

I bring that up because it is a precursor to my happy thing for the day. Sister B called and wanted to know if she could take us out to lunch. We ended up going to the Qdobas (see Day 130) near our apartment. When we finished getting our food, Sister B said, “I’ll be paying for those two” (referring to me and my companion). The cashier told her that there was no charge for us. “What!” she asked. We explained over lunch that missionaries get to eat here free. “Well, that stinks,” she said. I asked her, “Why does that stink?” “Because, I was hoping to do a nice thing and buy you guys lunch after all of the things you’ve helped me with and they tell me my money’s no good here.”

Wanting to do something nice for us, she asked if there was anything that we needed. I said, “Well, I do need a new bike light…” “Say no more!” she said. “I’ll go out and pick up the best one that they have.” “No, really, Sister B, you don’t need to…” “Nonsense, it’s the least I could do.” (“Well, the least I can do is nothing, but I’ll go you one better!” –Homer Simpson)

So, Happy Thing for Day 137: Sister B gave me a shiny new bike light. It’s really nice, with a rotating head, high and low beams, extra-bright light so I can see a far way off…(“She was a sweetheart of a light! John, Three Skeleton Key; Radio Drama, Escape! starring Vincent Price). Best of all, it’s securely fastened in place, so it’s not going to fall off.

We went over to see Brother W today. He’d wanted us to meet with him, but when we got there and started to teach him, he fell asleep. Sound asleep. He started to snore. I looked at my companion. I said, kind of loudly, “Okay, then, I think we had better get going.” Brother W woke up and apologized for falling asleep. He said he’d been so busy. He wanted us to come back but said that all he wanted to do right now was sleep.

Later this evening, Brother N called us to see about teaching J in their house again (see day 110). It’s been a while since we last taught J. The reason is that he went on vacation with the N family. Brother N said that everyone had a great time. The N’s are a great example for J to see what members are like. We plan to go over to their home tomorrow and finish teaching the second lesson to J. The last time we stopped at the Atonement. Tomorrow we plan to review and pick it up from life after death.

Tomorrow looks pretty busy. We plan on teaching J and Y, A, and J. Busy, busy afternoon. Hopefully, we can talk to J about going to the temple on Saturday. Well, big day planned. Tomorrow is Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home