My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Day 139-The Salvation Army Will Save Me-8-14-06

It was officially announced that on Wednesday we will go bowling for our zone activity. I’ll be looking forward to it.

After meetings today, a small portion of the Elders from our zone went to lunch together. Elders Spencer, Gleave, Chacon, Oram, Phelps, Pierce and Pierce. When we were about to leave, Elder Hall said, “Let’s make like and Elder and Gleave!” I don’t know how Elder Gleave feels about that little pun, but personally, I love it. “Elder and Gleave…” Very punny.

We went to the Royal Buffett. It’s Chinese food. “I like Chinese…I like Chinese…” I tried some stuffed crab today for the first time…with the pinchers still attached and everything. It was pretty good. A little salty, but not bad.

After lunch was over, we parted company and Elder Spencer (my exchange for the day) and I went to work. Mondays are service days for Elder Spencer, so we went to where he does service-the Salvation Army. (“The Salvation Army will save me!” –said by Logan after being tied up for asking too many questions about Citizenship in the World)

Okay, a pause right here while I briefly explain the afore mentioned quote. A while back before I went on my mission, one of the members in my home ward, was asked to teach in a Merit Badge Fair for Boy Scouts so that they could earn their Citizenship in the World. She wanted to do something fun and different, so she turned the lesson into a game based on the concept of the t.v. game show, “Street Smarts.”

In Street Smarts, the host goes out and interviews 3 people on the street and asks them the same questions. The contestants on the show then have to decide which one answered correctly. The game is based around that idea. That is what Sister C wanted to do. Have a game where the host asks people questions about Citizenship in the World. The Boy Scouts who are watching, have to guess who got each question right. Of course, Sister C did want it to be kind of a show, so each person who helped had a different role to play. Sister C got several of the youth involved. I was the host of the program. It was my job to ask the questions. My brother, Lane, helped out behind the scenes. He also played minor roles throughout the movie. My brother Luke, operated the camera and edited the scenes. He’s pretty good at that kind of stuff. There were three youth that played the roles of the “man on the street.” All of them did a super job.

It was a lot of fun for me because I got to be the annoying interviewer who keeps following people around trying to get them to answer my annoying questions. At the end of the show, everyone is so fed up with me that they tie me up and drag me out into the street. By coincidence, a Salvation Army truck was driving by. Being carried off by the angry masses, I yelled out, “The Salvation Army will save me!” The truck, of course did not stop to help, but kept right on going. I ended up in a dumpster. (Lined with clean trash bags, of course.) Good memories.

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, back to Day 139. at the Salvation Army, Elder Spencer and I spent an hour sorting clothes. It’s as fun as it sounds. You take the clothes with the green tag and put them in a pile. The clothes that are left, you put in a big box that will be sent back to headquarters. One nice thing about volunteering here is that they let you take something for free. I brought home a couple of snazzy new ties.

Later this afternoon we went tracting. This brings my total tracting time up to 44 hours. It was very hot today. I hear that next week is supposed to be in the 100’s. I’m remembering to drink plenty of water, though, so it’s not that bad.

Happy Thing for Day 139: Elder Spencer and I taught one of his investigators. His name is M. M was progressing rather slowly and wanted to know more about the Mormon pioneers. We ended up watching Legacy with him. He really enjoyed it. I liked it as well. It’d been a while since I had seen it. Watching Legacy was my happy thing today.

I did think today on how earlier I said that the Joseph Smith movie could be longer. You can get that same effect by watching a lot of other church movies as part of a movie marathon. Start with Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration, then watchLegacy, and top it off with Mountain of the Lord. When you watch all three back to back, you can see the history of the church unfold into the big picture. It’s pretty neat.

Well, today was not an overnight exchange, so I’ll be back with Elder Pierce tonight. Bye for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home