My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Day 149-The Whole Day Was Great- 8-24-06

Happy Thing for Day 149: Day 149! That’s right. The whole day was great. First we went to meet A. We knocked on his door…and he was home! “…because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.” John 20:29

Oh, it was so good to see A again! My companion wrote in his journal that this was the first time he’d seen A without a piece of glass between them. That was Elder K. Pierces first Saturday in Herndon {Day 109}. We went to visit A in jail with Brother S. Here it is 40 days later and we were able to meet in A home and see how he’s doing.

A says that he’s doing much better now. He still has to appear in court. From what it sounds like, he should be cleared of all charges against him. He told us that he’s stopped drinking. Back on Day 84 I wrote how things were going in the Herndon area. I talked about A going and partying with friends instead of meeting with us. He would go party and get drunk on the weekends and not go to church with us on Sunday.

Being in prison though, was a good change for A. He’s more humble, more teachable. I feel like Alma in Alma 32:6. “And now when Alma heard this, he turned him about, his face immediately towards him, and he beheld with great joy; for he beheld that their afflictions had truly humbled them, and that they were in preparation to hear the word.”

A told us that while he was in prison, he had time to think. He realized that most of the bad things that have happened to him in his life can be traced back to drinking and the people that he chose to hang out with.

Today we shared The Word of Wisdom with A; Our churches code of health. A said he thought it was good to have a standard. He likes the Word of Wisdom. We also shared with him the importance of temples and temple work. We were able to answer some of his questions about the temples. He asked, “How long do you have to wait after becoming a Mormon before you can go to the temple?” Elder Pierce answered that within a week or so after you are baptized you can receive from your ward bishop a recommend to perform baptisms for the dead. (We explained what baptisms for the dead were). And, after you have been a faithful member of the church for at least a year, you can receive a recommend to go to the temple for your own endowment. It’s because of these endowments that families can be sealed together forever.

We invited A to a lot of things. We invited him to come play volleyball with other members of the ward this evening. We invited him to a lesson at the P’s house, as well as dinner in their home. We also invited him to go to church on Sunday. (the last time A came to church was Day 61). He wants to start going to church weekly, as part of his plan to straighten out his life.

The big news, for me at least, is that another temple trip is in the works! We have it all planned out to go to the Visitor’s Center a week from Saturday. We’ll go see the Joseph Smith movie. A is looking forward to it. So am I. I want to go ahead and commit A to a baptismal date but we need to wait until after his court date. If he’s cleared of all charges, which he should be, we shouldn’t have any problems. If not, that’s where it gets a little dicey. Oh well, no use fretting over that now. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

After we visited with A, we went to see C. We’d talked with C on {Day 140} about coming back to teach her next Thursday (today). We hadn’t been able to get a hold of her since then. She’s so busy. On the way to C’s we passed by S’s house. I was planning to stop by her place later, but as we were biking past, she called out to us, “Elders!”, so we stopped and went to visit for a few minutes.

We were able to tell S about the transfer calls. She was so happy to hear that we were staying in Herndon. S is feeling a little under the weather. That’s why she did not meet with us on Tuesday. She just felt too sick. We’ll try again, though. We talked with S, and have it planned to go on Monday and watch the Bruce R. McConkie video with her.

I showed S my journal and some of the drawings in it. S said, “Wow! I had no idea that you were such an artist.” I also showed her my collection of church art that I’ve acquired by cutting pictures out of the Ensign’s. One of my favorite’s is this sculpture of Mormon. I love sculptures. When I showed it to S, she said, “Oh, you mean Mormon was a person?” “Yeah, what did you think he was?” I thought. We talked for a bit on what Mormon and his son Moroni did to preserve and bring forth the Book of Mormon in our day. I love talking with S and answering her questions. We see her on Monday. We also played volleyball with A at church tonight. It was lots of fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home