My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Day 150 The Spirit World/Johnny Appleseed pt. 1 8-25-06

To commemorate Day 150, I’m going to talk about something that I’ve been meaning to include in my journal since Day 50. This is a subject that is very near and dear to the heart of Brother MW, the Spirit World (see Day 110-Never Surrender).

Specifically, I’d like to talk about missionary work in the Spirit World. First, I’d like to include some remarks on the subject by President Wilford Woodruff a the General Conference held in the Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, October 4 1890.

“I will say here that in my dreams I have had a great many visits from the Prophet Joseph since his death. The last time I met with him was in the spirit world. I met him at the temple. He spoke to me. Calling me by name, he said, “I cannot stop to talk to you, for I am in a hurry.” I met Father Smith. He, too, said to me, “I am in a hurry.” I met a great many of the Apostles and others who are in the spirit world, and they all seemed to be in a hurry. I marveled at this, and wondered very greatly in my mind why anybody should be in a hurry in the Paradise of God.

I had an interview with the Prophet Joseph afterwards and asked him the question, “Why are you in such a hurry here?” I said, “I have always been in a hurry in the world since I was born, but I thought there would be no occasion for it when I died and entered the spirit world.” He replied, “Well, I will tell you: The Prophets and Apostles in this dispensation have had no time, nor opportunity to prepare themselves to go to the earth with the great bridegroom when He goes to meet the bride, the Lamb’s wife. We in this dispensation have not had time. We have first as much work to perform, to prepare ourselves, as in other dispensations.” He said the time was at hand for the coming of the Son of Man, for Christ to go forth in fulfillment of revelation and prophecy, to meet the bride, the Lamb’s wife, the Church and Kingdom of God upon the earth. Says he, “That is not revealed to us, nor never will it be until the hour comes; but we have much work to do to prepare ourselves for that event.” Collected Discourses Vol. 2 Wilford Woodruff, October 4, 1890

Next, I’d like to share Doctrines and Covenants Section 138. This really gets to the heart of the matter about missionary work in the Spirit World.

A vision given to the Prophet Joseph F. Smith in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 3, 1918 D&C 138:1 – “On the third of October, in the year nineteen hundred and eighteen, I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures; D&C 138:6-10
6 I opened the Bible and read the third and fourth chapters of the first epistle of Peter, and as I read I was greatly impressed, more than I had ever been before, with the following passages:
7 “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
8 “By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison 9 “Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.” (1 Peter 3:18—20.)
10 “For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” (1 Peter 4:6.)

D&C 138: 27-34

27 But his ministry among those who were dead was limited to the brief time intervening between the crucifixion and his resurrection;
28 And I wondered at the words of Peter—wherein he said that the Son of God preached unto the spirits in prison, who sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah—and how it was possible for him to preach to those spirits and perform the necessary labor among them in so short a time.
29 And as I wondered, my eyes were opened, and my understanding quickened, and I perceived that the Lord went not in person among the wicked and the disobedient who had rejected the truth, to teach them;
30 But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.
31 And the chosen messengers went forth to declare the acceptable day of the Lord and proclaim liberty to the captives who were bound, even unto all who would repent of their sins and receive the gospel.
32 Thus was the gospel preached to those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets.
33 These were taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands,
34 And all other principles of the gospel that were necessary for them to know in order to qualify themselves that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.”

I shall now attempt to tie in the subject of missionary work in the spirit world with the life of John Chapman, more commonly known as Johnny Appleseed (1774-1845) Johnny Appleseed was a pioneer who planted apple seeds and tended orchards throughout the Ohio River valley. Some years later Walt Disney (1901-1966-animator and producer) made an animated film mixing history and legend about the life of Johnny Appleseed. I plan to use quotes from that film, as well as my own narration, to draw a parallel between his life as portrayed in the Walt Disney film, and missionary work; both here and in the spirit world. (see Day 150 pt. 2)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home