My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Day 150 The Spirit World/Johnny Appleseed… “Now We Will Compare the Word Unto a Seed” pt. 2 8-25-06

“Now we will compare the word unto a seed…” Alma 32:28
The story starts with young Johnny. He’s about 25 years of age and spends his time caring for the family apple orchards. Under a beautiful apple blossom sky Johnny likes to pass the time singin’.

“The Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord! For givin’ me the things I need; the sun and the rain and the apple seeds; Yes, He’s been good to me.

I owe the Lord so much for everything I see. I’m certain if it weren’t for Him, there’d be no apples on this limb; Oh, he’s been good to me.

Oh, here am I, ‘neath the blue, blue sky a doin’ as I please; singing with my feathered friends, hummin’ with the bees.

I wake up every day as happy as can be; because I know that with His care, my apple trees will still be there. Oh, the Lord is good to me!”

So Johnny is happy at home caring for his apple trees, when he hears the wagons moving west and the sound of restless feet. It’s the pioneers! They sing as they move along.

“Get on the wagon rollin’ west, out to the great unknown; Get on the wagon rollin’ west or you’ll be left alone!

We’ve made a home before; we’re startin’ out again. We ain’t a-feared of man or beast. We’re strong-hearted men!

Get on the wagon rollin’ west, seekin’ a land that’s new. Get on the wagon rollin’ west. There’s plenty a’ room for you!

The rivers may be wide, the mountains may be tall; but nothin’ stops the pioneers; we’re trailblazers all!
Get on the wagon rollin’ west, out to the great unknown; get on the wagon rollin’ west, or you’ll be left alone. You’ll be left alone.”

Johnny sees the pioneers heading west and wants to join them, but feels like he’s not able to. Suddenly, his guardian angel appears and asks John why he doesn’t go west. Johnny stares at the angel, too awestruck to speak. (Alma 32: 29 Now behold, would not this increase your faith? I say unto you, Yea; nevertheless it hath not grown up to a perfect knowledge.)

Angel: “Speak up, boy. Don’t stand there gawkin. Unlock your jaw and get ta talkin’.”
Johnny: “Uh…yes sir. Yes sir! Why don’t I go west? Cause I ain’t got the muscle or the breadth of chest. Out there it’s the strong men that survive and I’m about the puniest fella alive.”
Angel: “Shame ta ya, Johnny. You’ve got faith and a level head.”
Johnny: “But, shucks. I’ve got no gun; I’ve got no gear; nor any of the things I’ll need out there.. Ya’ see sir, all I know is apple trees.”
Angel: “And what’s wrong with apples, if you please? Ain’t they about the finest fruit in all the land? Why, shoot, man! They take the cake! Just think of all the things that apples make!”

The angel tells Johnny that if you have faith, that’s enough to start with. (Refer back to Alma 32:28 “Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.”)

So, John goes about packing his meager belongings for his long journey.
( 1st Nephi 3:7 “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no comandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”)

His angel sings to him: “Pack your stuff and get a’goin’; get them apple trees a’ growing; There’s a lot of work out there to do! Oh, there’s a lot of work to do…”

(Alma 32:33 And now, behold, because ye have tried the experiment, and planted the seed, and it swelleth and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, ye must needs know that the seed is good.”)

Planting seeds…sounds like missionary work to me.

continued in Part 3...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home