My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Day 183-9/27/06 TempleBot

Happy Thing for Day 183-I did it! He's finished! My top secret art project is done! My second completed sculpture since starting my mission!

On (Day 17) I completed my first sculpture since starting my mission. It was based on Simon Dewey's painting, "Peace Be Still." I'm glad that I was able to get it finished while still at the MTC. It was cool to be able to leave something behind.

On (Day 75) I mentioned an idea that I'd gotten for a sculpture that I could make about the dangers of losing yourself in the world. Or, the dangers of focusing on the world. I still haven't made that sculpture yet. I have put it on the back burner for now. I'll get to it later...after my mission when I have more time. For now, though, just the idea of it suffices me.

But, it's true. I completed my second sculpture just this morning. I worked on it last p-day. I got a lot done, but I figured I'd wait until today when I finished it to have the grand unveiling.

My idea came from my love of Transformers. I love the way you can turn Transformers into other things. I was looking at the D.C. Temple one day. The idea of combining the two...Hmmm...what if...what if there was a Transformer that looked like the Washington D.C. Temple.

I want to stress that I have too much respect for the Holy House of the Lord to poke fun at a temple. This sculpture came about because I love the design of the temple in D.C. I think of the temple as a "protector." Temples are a safe haven. A place to leave the worries of the world behind us. Transformers are these big machines that are supposed to protect the people, too. As I looked at the temple, I could imagine it coming to life and saving the world from the forces of evil.

Today we had our zone activity. Our zone leaders, Elder H and Elder B came and picked us up. The Reston Elders got a ride as well. I was able to show them my sculpture. "Wow!" said Elder H. "Is that supposed to be the temple?" "Well, yes and no," I said. "Well, ya know, that's how the earth will be cleansed before the Second Coming," Elder H said. "What?" I asked. Elder H joked, "All of the temples around the world will turn into giant robots and cleanse the earth with fire from their giant flame-throwers." (haha)

We got to the zone activity and had a good time. I played a little bit of volleyball. Fun, fun, fun. Good p-day, but (sigh) over too quickly.

After p-day we went on exchanges with Brother D. We went to try to see Sister T B. Now Sister B is what my companion calls a D.O.F.O.E (prounounced dough-foe). "What's a dofoe?" I asked. My companion answered, "Dropped Off the Face Of the Earth." It's true. T has been impossible to get a hold of. I don't know what the problem is.

After T, we went and visited Sister D. neighbor, W. We taught W on (Day 130). Since that time, we've stopped by now and then to see how she's doing. W is so nice and humble, but works so much. Double shifts. Every time we would set up an appointment to meet with her, she would have to cancel. Tonight when we stopped by, though, she was home. She told us that she was sorry that we had not been able to meet but that she was off on Sunday if we wanted to come by. We've got an appointment to meet this Sunday before General Conference.

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but W is Muslim. That came as a shock to me half-way through the first lesson. When someone is Muslim, you don't really want to start with the First Vision. First, there has to be that faith in Jesus Christ. At least that is what I thought at the time.

I am now starting to get a small idea of the great power the Book of Mormon has in the conversion process. Quoting from the introduction to the Book of Mormon: "The Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on earth...and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by it's precepts, than by any other book;...It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the Plan of Salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come;...the Book of Mormon serves as an additional witness that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that all who come unto him and obey the laws and ordinances of His gospel may be saved."

We plan on going to W's at 10:30 on Sunday to teach. We were able to talk to a friend of her's that was visiting. She told us she was a Christian and would love to hear a message about Christ. Hopefully, we'll be able to teach them both this Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home