My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Day 187-Sunday General Conference-10/01/06

We called CW early this morning. We needed him to go on exchanges with us to teach W. Later Elder P (KP) thought that he had better call W to see if she could meet. She said she was sorry but that she could not meet today. She had to work. My companion tells W that we'll meet with her sometime later in the week. They say good bye and hang up. Less than 2 seconds later, the phone rings. It was CW. "Good," I thought. "Now you can tell him that he does not have to come because she can't see us today." But it was too late. CW was waiting for us downstairs. We hung our heads in shame and went and told C that we were sorry for dragging him out of bed this morning. He said that it was no problem and that it was good training for when he was a missionary.

We called Brother C and asked him to help A to conference. We'd have been more than happy to do it, but we were asked by Elder W to watch conference with the other missionaries at the stake center. It kind of fell to Brother C to help A get to conference.

We were waiting for Elder C and B to come pick us up and take us to conference, when who should we see but our good neighbor, W. We were able to remind him about conference. He said that he would be able to watch some of it.

Elders B & C came to take us to conference. It was great! We stayed at the stake center for both sessions. In between, we had lunch. The different wards got together and had a nice, big meal. It was great. What can I say about General Conference? It's the best. I've loved all of the sessions. I've loved all of the talks. I can only remember a small bit of what was talked about. I did have some favorite talks that stood out.

One of my favorite talks was given by Elder L. Tom Perry. His was truly a great talk about the Plan of Salvation, the Apostasy and the Restoration. Elder Perry was very, very bold. Excellent, excellent talk! He taught so much in such a short time. It was amazing. I plan on reviewing this and the other conference talks to see what I can learn from them. One other talk that I enjoyed was Elder Russell M. Nelson's talk on the Great Apostasy and the Restoration of the Gospel. I'll have to wait for the November 2006 Ensign to come out to read the talks. I can't wait for General Conference in April!

Happy Thing for Day 187-GENERAL CONFERENCE

Elder C dropped us off at our place around 6:40pm. There was a message on our machine from S. I called her back and asked her if she was able to watch any of Conference. She said that she hadn't. She had been called to work at the horse ranch. She apologized and said that she had meant to watch it.

I talked with S for a bit. She asked me the BIG question. The one for all the marbles. "Why do I need to be a Mormon?", S asked. I have stated before and will say again, S's questions are never mean-spirited or inquisitional. She's asking because she really wants to know. I tell her that she can find the answers to her questions by reading the Book of Mormon; she's still hesitant. Before S can progress, she must gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon.

Ya' know, it really kills me when someone who is a Christian is willing to read the Da Vinci Code or the Left Behind series, but they won't read the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is here as a testimony to people that Jesus Christ is our Savior;that he lives and that His church has been restored by Him through a living prophet.

Books like The Da Vinci Code and Left Behind are fiction. FICTION! Their goal is for people to buy the books and for the authors to make money. Nothing wrong with Capitalism. People can buy what they want, but we give copies of the Book of Mormon away for FREE!

My point is that the Book of Mormon is unique from any other book both in purpose and presentation. Maybe the Book of Mormon should be more of a challenge to get people to read. Because the blessings that come from reading it are so great. I really have a hard time understanding why people are so willing to pay money for the latest "Christian Craze" whether it be Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ (which S told me that she had seen and loved) or The Da Vinci Code. Anything main-stream that has to do with Christ, most Christians will follow after to try to get a "new perspective" on the Savior of the World.

Maybe it's right here. The Book of Mormon is not main-stream. It's more like a little stream. D & C 132:22-25 "For straight is the gate, and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world; neither do ye know me. But if ye receive me in the world, then ye shall know me and shall receive your exaltation; that where I am, ye shall be also. This is eternal life-to know the only wise and true God and Jesus Christ, whom He has sent. I am He. Receive ye, therefore my law. Broad is the gate, and wide is the way that leadeth to the deaths; and many there are that go in thereat, because they receive me not, neither do they abide in my law."

To quote from President Hinckley's talk in the April 2006 Conference: "There comes to mind the words of Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken," which concludes with these lines: "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

(Elder Pierce did a drawing of sea turtles in a marsh with two paths converging. Most of the turtles follow one path while just a few strike out in the other direction)

Once again I continue with the theme of sea-turtles. I really enjoyed General Conference. We weren't able to talk to A today. I'm not sure if he watched or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home