My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Day 198- Silence of the Lambs 10-12-06

Wow! Have I been in Dahlgren for a week already? It sure doesn't seem like it. My, how time flies. ("Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog)
Today is Elder C's one year mark.

Today we did some more service at the the "Opp Shop". It's like Goodwill. It went alright. We got a lot of things sorted. There was a brand new jacket that I liked. I offered to pay for it, but they said I could have it. They said that we did so much around there to help it was the least they could do. (Well, I suppose the least I could do is nothing...but I'll go you one better.")

As we were driving back from service, my companion pulled off to the side of the road. We were parked in front of an empty field. My companion told me that the church recently bought this land and is planning on building a new building for the branch to meet in. That is good because now we meet on the military base. It would be nice to have our own building. The ground breaking is soon. It should be completed within a year. I love this church. It's amazing how they take care of their saints. I'll have to come back here after my mission and see how the branch has grown after the completion of its new chapel.

We also went tracting for an hour. My TTH is at 58. As I've mentioned before, Dahlgren is way out in the country. The houses are spaced much farther apart than in Herndon. As a result we are knocking on fewer doors. Most of the people we met today weren't interested in hearing the message. That's important to point out. They weren't interested in hearing the message. When we go up to a door, most people say, "not interested" when they have never even heard the message before, at least not from LDS missionaries. They may have heard it from their pastor, but that is not who you should go to about information about our church. No way.

We did get to teach someone today by tracting. Mr B is in the Army. He said that he was leaving for Iraq in a couple of months. My companion shared with him the first lesson.

Elder C likes to talk. A lot. Don't get me wrong. He's an excellent teacher. I'd love to sit and listen to him teach-which is all I've been basically doing at every teaching appointment. When Elder C taught Mr. B today, he talked for 15 minutes straight. I just stood there smiling and watching. Surely, he'll let me teach any minute now, I thought. No such luck. Elder C left Mr. B with a Book of Mormon and our phone number. He said if he had any question, he would call.

Happy Thing for Day 198-We taught Brother and Sister M. Sister M's husband is a recent convert. He's a real nice guy. We came over and my companion talked with them about tithing (sigh). It's not a huge deal, but really, I wouldn't mind having a chance to teach. I barely got to speak at the M's either.

It was my companions year mark, so tonight at the M's house (before our lesson) my comp. brought out a shirt, some dress pants and a tie. He went out to the backyard, to the fired-up barbecue grill. Elder C then proceeded to burn his clothes as a symbol of reaching his year mark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home