My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day 152- I Demand Severance –August 27, 2006

C’mon, people! It’s only 12 hours! G and A were no-shows. We knocked and waited, but no one came to the door. A’s baptism date looks tentative, at this point. I’m hoping to see more commitment.

It makes me appreciate investigators like J. He was at church today and stayed for the whole thing! All three hours! We talked with J; he says when he gains a testimony that this church is true, he’ll commit to be baptized. We plan to go over to the N’s next Sunday to teach J. M won’t be there; she’s gone off to school. J still wants to continue his studies with us. So, as it turns out, J has the desire to find the truth, and isn’t doing this just because of a pretty face.

At church today, (after the 3rd hour), Elder Pierce and I were waiting around for our ride and were able to talk to the Elders from the Reston Ward (which meets right after our ward). Elder Phelps introduced me to his two new companions; Elder Thomson and Elder Williams. It was the first time I’ve been able to see them in person. I’m sure I’ll get to know them better tomorrow at district meetings.

We went by J’s at 2:00 for our teaching appointment with him. We’d hoped to go over lesson 3, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We still need to teach J that; then we’ll try to set a baptismal date with him. When we got there, J was just coming outside. “Oh, Elders!,” he said, “It’s good that I caught you. I’m going out. I won’t be able to make our meeting today.” “Do you want to reschedule?” I asked. “That would be good,” said J, “how about you come back tomorrow at 2:00?” “You’ll be here?” I asked. “I’ll be here,” said J. Alright, we’ll be back tomorrow at 2:00.

Happy Thing of {Day 152}: We went by A’s house at about 3:00. (This is a great story) A is having a bad day. When we go to see him, he’s sitting on the front steps of his house with his 2 miniature Doberman Pincers. When he sees us, he says, “Well, well, well . . . if it isn’t my good friends, Elder Pierce and Elder Pierce, the Dynamic Duo.” A told us that the reason why he was sitting on his front steps is because he locked himself out of this house. He said, “I’ve been out here for 8 hours.” At 7:00 am, A got up to take his dogs for a walk. Before he was ready to go, both of his dogs ran outside and he ran after them. His front door closes behind him, locked, with his wallet and keys inside on the table. After he caught his dogs, he brought them back to his house and then realized that the door was locked and he has been sitting on the front steps ever since. A. said, “I called a locksmith to come open my door. He said he’d be here in an hour. That was 7 hours ago.”

Also, things aren’t going too well for A on the marriage front. “My wife wants a divorce,” A told us. It seems his pregnant wife was frustrated that she was the only one working to support their family. A is still unemployed, with no car. Well, he has a car, but his wife is using it for her job right now. So A is without transportation; his wallet and keys are locked in his house, so he doesn’t have any money to take the bus.

Just then, one of A’s neighbors drives up. A called out to him, “Hey D!” “Good afternoon, A! How are…” Then he sees us. D then stopped and said to my companion and me, “There’s no point in talking to him, (referring to A), he’s already a Christian.” D pauses, then continues, “What’s the point of you Latter-day Saints talking to people who already believe in Christ? There’s no point! Why don’t you go somewhere where you’ll do some good? Why don’t you go to Africa; preach to those people. I’m Catholic! You don’t see us going around … that would be like if I went to a Methodist and told him to be Catholic!” I then asked D, “So, what you’re saying is, it doesn’t matter if you’re Methodist or Catholic, as long as you believe in Christ? Why not be a Methodist then? or a Latter-day Saint for that matter?” Doug stood there for a moment, looking thoroughly confounded. He then stammered, “No, no . . . We’re the ones who put the Bible together! (referring to the Catholic church) In 300 A.D. we put the books together! If it weren’t for us, they would have all been lost (btw, some books were lost)! Think about that (I am).” Then Doug departed. (Yeah, 300 A.D., … What has you church done for Christianity lately?” – I didn’t say this to Doug, but I thought it.)

Okay, here’s where things start getting good. The locksmith arrives. He gets out of his car with his toolbox. It was a French locksmith with an outrageous French accent. He was wearing a black long-sleeve shirt with thin white stripes, blue jeans, black leather shoes and a black beret. All he needed was a pencil-thin mustache and a baguette. Too bad. He was clean shaven and was not carrying any bread. He was still a near-perfect stereotype.

He goes up to A and they start to talk. They begin to haggle over the price.
A: “No, I’m not gonna pay that! You told me over the phone that it would only cost 80 bucks!”
Locksmith: “Right. That was for one lock, but your door has two. Two locks, $160.”
A: “No, that’s okay”
Locksmith: “If you want you door open, you must pay the price.”
A: “Look, really, I’ll just bust a window. I’m not gonna’ pay you. You didn’t do anything, so go. I’ll figure it out myself.”
Locksmith: “Well, then, give me severance.”
A: “Excuse me?”
Locksmith: “Severance. You call me out to here to pick your lock. I come out here; spend my time, my gas and now you tell me you don’t want it fixed!? I demand severance!”
A: “Listen Frenchie, first of all, I called you to come out 7 hours ago. You finally show up and tell me it’s gonna’ cost me twice as much to fix my door. I say no thank you and you expect me to pay you for not doing anything?!?!?”
Locksmith: “I’ll do it for $120 if you pay in cash.”
A: “What!?!?!”
Locksmith: “Is that not generous?”
A: “I don’t have $120 in cash. Look, don’t worry about it. I’ll just break a window.”
Locksmith: “Sir, you called me here to fix your door. I’m here. I have my tools. I want to fix your door, but first you must pay me.”
A: “Well then, if you’ve got to be paid to do it, you must not want to do it very badly. I mean, I know it’s your job; I just don’t have that much money to spend right now. Go.”

The French locksmith then left in a huff. (“of course, if that’s too soon, you could leave in a minute and a huff!” – Groucho Marx, Duck Soup) Things started to calm down after that point and we were able to talk to A about the Restored Gospel on the front steps. A had read some of the Book of Mormon. He liked the part of 1st Nephi where, quote, “The kid cuts off the drunk guy’s head and robs him.” (1 Nephi 4:7-38)

He asked us if we had any videos we could watch with him about our church the next time we came over to visit. I told him we did, but even better that that, we could take him up to the Washington D.C. Temple Visitor’s Center to watch the new movie the church made about the life of the prophet Joseph Smith. A said that he would like to go. I suggested he could see if his wife would want to come as well. “Nah,” A said, “she wouldn’t want to come.” Oh well, I tried to help his marriage.

Wow! If A comes, that’ll be 3 investigators at the Visitor’s Center! (“Did you guys get a group rate?” – Rueben, Ocean’s Eleven [the new one]) We might have to ask Brother B to give us a ride. The B family has this huge van that seats, like, 10 people. The reason why they have such a huge van is because of all their kids. (Day 138) No matter, we’ll worry about rides later.

Later, after dinner, I called S to move our teaching appointment with her from 2:00 to 4:00. President P will go with us. S sounded much better over the phone. I hope she’s past her sickness. She told me she felt pretty good, all things considered. Going to teach S tomorrow at 4:00. I can’t wait!!!

We ran into A and G later this evening. They both apologized for missing church. G said that he was still in the shower when we came by. A admitted that he just slept in. “I’m really sorry guys,” said A, “I had my suit all ready to go and everything. I don’t suppose you could call me before you come over?” “You mean like a wake-up call?” I asked. “Yeah,” A said, “Just give me a call, like around 7:00 am. “Okay, A. We can do that,” I told him. We also set up a time to teach A and G tomorrow. The next day, {Day 153} should be busy. We plan to go teach A and G at noon; JA at 2:00 pm and SW at 4:00 pm. Busy, busy, busy. Well, I’m gonna’ head to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home