My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Another discussion...

Day 14-(missionary names abbreviated to protect the innocent)

Today we had a debate in class. It. Was. Awesome!!! I love to debate so much! This debate was on the Fall of Adam. I'm writing this record so that if I ever feel depressed or blue, I 'll remember this debate and get a warm, fuzzy feeling all over.

The Transgression of Adam was in debate. Elder M. called me over to say that Adam's fall was the first sin. I said transgressions aren't the same as sins. When you transgress, you don't have a knowledge that what you are doing is wrong. Adam was in a state of innocence as it says in 2 Nephi 2:23..."wherefore, they would have remained in a state of innocence." Elder M. responded with a copy of the Missionaries Pal. He quoted from, The Transgression of Adam or The First Sin. It says in Romans 5:12, "Wherefore, as by one man, sin entered into the world,and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned." It says Adam entered the world by sin.

Elder M. #2 (the other Elder M. who loves a good debate as much as I do), said, "We will be punished for our own sins and not for Adam's transgression. 2nd Article of Faith

Elder M#1 wasn't just going to roll over and play dead. He came to win! He rebounded with 1John3:4-"Whosoever committeth sin, transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law." Sin is transgression. Period.

I have to admit that I was stumped for a minute. It sounded iron-clad, but I was certain I had learned that sin was different from transgression. And you know how I am when I am certain of something...

After studying the verse for a few minutes, I said, "Ah-ha!" "Elder M#1 , if you put this verse into context, it says, 'transgresseth the law..." , transgression is another way of saying breaking the law. All that verse says is that if you sin, you break the law of the land. So Adam broke God's commandment. He transgressed it. That does not mean that he sinned.

Then before we could draw blood (haha), a teacher came in to check on us. He wasn't one of our teachers. His name was Brother. McB. I asked him is he could help answer this problem. He said, "Sure thing. Hand me a Preach My Gospel". I got him one. He turned to page 50. At the top in the red box, read, "After their transgression, they were subject to both sin and death." He then went on to say, "Adam's fall could not be a sin because he was not subject to it until after the fall. "

Elder M#2 and I did a victory lap back to our seats thing the matter was closed. Bro McB. went back to his classroom. I felt good. We had a discussion. There were more compelling points made on both sides, but in the end we had proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Adam's fall was not the first sin, but a transgression. (Or so I thought...)

About this time Elder T. and Elder F. returned to the classroom and things started to get weird! (to be continued...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home