My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Discussing the Word of Wisdom

Today I was at odds with the others in my district. It all started with a companionship teaching session. We each had to pick a commandment and give a brief talk on the importance of obeying said commandment. I listened to my companion give a talk on the law of chastity. Then it was my turn. I chose to talk on keeping the Word of Wisdom.

I started to read D&C 89, and was doing okay, until I got to verses 12 and 13: "Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless, they are to be used sparingly, And it is pleasing unto me that htey should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine."

My companion, Elder P., said, "Wait a minute, Elder Pierce." He wanted to discuss the merits of verses 12 and 13 with me. He said that he had several scriptures that supported eating meat. I told him I had no problem eating meat, just to eat it sparingly and not at every meal.

Soon the other Elders heard our little debate and came to join in. Elder T. said, (about eating meat sparingly), "that was written because in those days they did not have good refrigeration." Everyone had something to add, and all of them thought you could eat as much meat as you want; that the scriptures actually advocated eating meat. This thinking did not surprise me, though. I've thought that church members shoud really read over D&C 89 and figure out the key to good health.

At the MTC whenever I see missionaries getting soft drinks, I can't help but think they would do better to just drink water.

We also got a health and safety talk from the head doctor at the MTC. He is a WWII veteran! He is 81 years old. He served a mission in France right after WWII. He can play a mean harmonica. He ended the meeting with a harmonica solo. No wonder they were the greatest generation. I was honored to shake his hand and thank him for his service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home