My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Committments

I wanted to talk for a few minutes about committments.

In teaching lessons at the MTC, my strongest suit is my testimony. I like to go in with no notes, no nothing, just my scriptures. I like to try to teach by the spirit.

The problem was, I was having a hard time committing people to things like, "will you read the Book of Mormon?" "Will you pray to know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God?" " Will you come to church with us on Sunday?" And so on... My teachers were saying that I needed to be more sure of myself when committing people.

So, I thought about it like a movie I'd want someone to watch. "Laberinth" or "The Iron Giant" (two movies everyone should watch-the ending of The Iron Giant is one of my all time favorites) I love them and want to show them to people. I know the feeling I get every time I say, "What! You haven't seen this yet? Well, quick! Let's watch it now!" I just have to get in the mindset of, "What! You haven't read this! Well, here let me give you a copy now! Promise you will read it. " That is just a little tip for me to remember on my mission.

A few more words from Elder Holland:
"You can get your power and authority up and running at the MTC. Your power comes from your obedience, your rectitude and your high-mindedness." "Why are missions hard? Why is it hard to teach? Why is it hard to convert? Why don't missionaries have people breaking down their doors saying, "baptize me"? What is the reason?

The reason, Brothers and Sisters, is that salvation is not a cheap experience. It wasn't easy for the Savior. Now, we are not saviors. There is only one Savior and that is Jesus Christ. But we are his disciples. And I say to you that we would not be his disciples if we didn't have some sacrifice on our missions. It's going to be sweat and tears. Don't think you have a tough mission. If you do it right, it should be tough. Salvation is NOT easy."

Elder Holland continues, "I memorized all six discussions on my mission. You are lucky. You get to personalize your lessons so that they are more from you. You will be better teachers for it."

"On the cover of Preach My Gospel there is a scripture, D&C 50:14. It says, "Preach my gospel by the spirit..." Well, if we back up to D&C 50:13, we find it's the answer to the question. It says, "Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question-unto what were you ordained?'

Don't separate Preach my Gospel from by the spirit. You have to do it His way because it is His work. Follow the rules int he missionary little white handbook. I want you to know that the white handbook was not put together by crotchity old Elder Holland who one day drank a quart of pickle juice and said, "let's make some rules so the Elder's can't have any fun.' It wasn' t like that. It was close. I'm kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home