My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Jeffrey R. Holland

Day 15-MTC

Yesterday, the Apostle Jeffrey R. Holland came and spoke to us. The meeting started with us singing , "Called to Serve. " The opening prayer was given by a missionary going to the Oklahoma City, OK Mission. I thought that was cool. Then the MTC choir sang a nice hymn. I hadn't heard it before. It helped to bring the spirit.

Sister Holland spoke. She talked about Hebrews 11 and how we shouldnot be afraid because God holds you in the palm of His hands. D&C 50:41-44 The Book of Mormon is the one tangible thing that testifies that it is a work written by the hand of God.

Then we heard from Elder Holland. He told us how much he loves talking to missionaries. "Missionaries are Apostolic. This is your only chance to have this kind of mission. Get up on time. Go to bed on time."
When we are on our missions, we are as close to the responsibilities of Quorum of the Twelve as is humanly possible. Well, we are apostles with a lower case "a". Elder Holland is an upper case "A."

Then Elder Holland called upon the missionary who gave the opening prayer to read Helaman 5:17-18. "And it came to pass that they did preach with great power, insomuch that they did confound many of those dissenters who had gone from the Nephites, insomuch that they came forth and did confess their sins and were baptized unto repentance, and immediately returned to the Nephites to endeavor to repair unto them the wrongs which they had done. "

"And it came to pass that Nephi and Lehi did preach unto the Lamanites with such great power and authority, for they had power and authority given to them that they might speak, and also had what they should speak given unto them."

"How was this record kept? How was the Book of Mormon recorded? On sheets of metal and an ice pick? They did not want to waste space? Is this why Power and Authority is written twice? Because it was important. They were told what to say and how to say it. Power and authority is the only way to preach by the spirit."

Mosiah 27:11-12, 18-19. It's a good scripture, but I'm not gonna write it now. It's about Alma the younger being astonished by an angel of the Lord calling him to repentance. That was Elder Holland's point. He wants us to astonish someone on our mission. He said, " when you come home off your mission, don't have a single regret. My mission meant everything to me! Virtually everything good that has happened to me in my life is because of my choice to serve a full time mission.

DON'T YOU DARE GO HOME! Don't waste these two years. Make this mission a part of your very soul. This is your chance. Don't miss it. Know what your mission is. Don't worry about missing real life. Your mission is Real Life. Capital R. Capital L. It's as close to what is real about life as anyone is ever going to get. No one could have been more affected by their mission than me. I want to share a poem with you:

"Come to the edge", he said. "No. We'll fall."
"Come to the edge", he said. "No . We'll fall."
"Come to the edge", he said.

"So we came to the edge. He pushed us. We flew."

Embrace your mission. Don't worry about what is going on at home. For the next two years your mission is your new home. for as long as you live this mission, it will be your new home. I want to talk to you about doing missionary work now in Preach My Gospel. In Moses 1:39 it says, "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. " What are the important words there? Work and Glory, Immortality and Eternal Life? Right? Well, I think we need to add a new word to that list. The word is My. Say that I will be a part of this. This is MY work and MY glory. Not to take away anything from the Father, but remember, you are doing His work.

If the only person you convert on your mission is you, that is alright. Try to convert more, though.

Today has been very busy. I'll write more later.

Love,

Elder Pierce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home