My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sculptures and Music and Companions, Oh My

Day 17-MTC

Today I finished my sculpture, "Peace, Be Still." I was able to bake it in the oven in the MTC kitchen. I plan to leave it at the MTC as a thank you gift. I'll enclose some pictures so I can remember my time at the MTC and that P-day I sculpted it.

Today Elder M.#2 shared one of his talents with me. He took me to one of the unused chapel rooms and played piano for me. His best piece was the theme from "Braveheart". It's a great talent, but he says he plays by ear and can't read music. It made me think of Luke. He's good at the piano. I hope he keeps practicing. I want to get the soundtrack to Braveheart when I get off my mission.

I must say my patience with my companion and most of the other elders is wearing thin. Being homeschooled, I can't help but notice how immature they are. They can teach lessons to investigators, but I know how they act when we are settling down for bed. Don't even get me started about Elder P.'s whoopie cushion.

I don't think I am being "holier than thou". I just think missionaries should act respectable even when they are not with investigators. Just last week the Elders piled about 4 mattresses from the rooms at the bottom of the stairs. Then a couple of the "daring ones" (meaning starved for attention with no creative outlet short of risking their necks) took turns jumping from the top of the stairs and aiming for the mattresses. Amazingly there were only a few injuries. One of the elders bounced on the mattress at weird angle and ended up scraping his head against the wall. It wasn't that bad. It wasn't that smart, either.

In a million years if you had asked me what I would do with 4 mattresses, I don't think I'd say, "Let's jump on them from the top of the stair case."

It just bugs me how you can see the influence of public schooling in these missionaries. My companion, Elder P. knows how to teach a lesson, knows his scriptures, bears his testimony with conviction, and gives heart-felt prayers. Yet, for all these qualities, this red-haired, freckled faced missionary from So. Cal. has ...I'd say he's immature, but now that I think of it, maybe he is acting his age. Maybe I'm too mature for my age. Thank you Mama for homeschooling me. I pray that I never act how these other missionaries act in private. And exception is Elder M#2. He is also mature for his age. I would not mind if he were my companion. Too bad he is going to FL.

I have to set the record straight. I've been ragging on the Elders for a while. They are really good people most of the time. I am sure they will grow up to be decent, up-standing members of the church. It is just a shock to see people acting so immature. But then, I've always been more comfortable with older, mature people. I'm sure they'll grow out of it. Twenty year olds sure are immature. Glad I never was one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home