My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 70-The Da Vinci Code is Fiction-06/06/06

Today we are going to teach S. We are hoping to get her to come to church this Sunday.

The reason why we have not been able to get her to come to church before now is because of "The DaVinci Code." I haven't read it or seen it. I won't be able to until I get off my mission. I do know the buzz that this movie has created amongst the Christian community. The movie is centered around idea that Jesus Christ was married to Mary Magdalene and they had a child together. It says that is what the Holy Grail was-the child of Christ. (Boy, those Monty Python guys had it all wrong.)

At this point I'd like to point out that this book, "The DaVinci Code" was written by Dan Brown. Not Dan the Beloved. Not Dan the Divine. Just plain old Dan Brown. I can't even believe that I'm pointing this out, but in case anyone is wondering, let me remind you that this book is FICTION. It is amazing to me that some churches are up in arms about this film. S. told Elder Buttars (before he got transferred) and me that she had seen this movie. She thought it was boring.

Nevertheless, she chose to spend three Sundays at her "non-denominal" church attending a seminar on exposing the lies of the Da Vinci Code. I can think of a better way to spend a Sunday. Now that the seminar is over, we will ask her to come to church with us.

Today we are going to read the Book of Mormon with S. Normally, when we read the Book of Mormon with an investigator, we'll pick a chapter like 3 Nephi 11 or Alma 32 or 34 and of course 2 Nephi 31. Elder D. felt that it would be best for S. if we started at the beginning. I'm not sure, but it might just be what she needs.

Since we are talking about movies today, I'd like to mention the only movie I know that has come out since I left for my mission. X-Men 3. That's about it so far. I have no clue about movies anymore except what I brought with me in my "dolphin-safe tuna net" of a mind. My only exposure to movies at all is when we bike past the theater. I read the names of some of the movies, but I don't have a clue what they are about.

One movie that I heard was being remade is "The Omen". That's the creepy movie about the anti-christ. I have no desire to see that. I just wanted to point out the marketing gimmick by releasing it on June 6, 2006. You get a ticket stub that says 06/06/06. Very amusing. Hahaha

We're leaving now to go teach S. It's been a while since our last meeting with her. I can't wait! If anything happens (which it should) I'll write it here.

Well, we did not get to meet with S today. We got there on time. She forgot about our meeting. We're gonna try again on Thursday. No big deal. I'll close for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home