My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Day 64 cont.-Saying Goodbye

Words from Elder Buttars.

My Son,

Man it was a fast six weeks. We had a lot of good things happen. We were able to find W. and T. I had a good time helping you get up to speed on that bike. You are a good elder. Just keep working hard. Give your best at all times. Don't ever let up. I wish I could stay here one more transfer, but the Lord has other plans for me. You'll do great as a missionary. Just don't get addicted to those oils. They're bad for you.

Your Daddy,
Elder Buttars

Thank you Elder Buttars. Thank you for being my companion. My trainer. My friend. I remember the first person I talked to with Elder Buttars out in the field. It was before the Muslim family. Here's what happened:

I didn't have a bike yet. We walked from our apartment to this nice neighborhood. It wasn't hot yet or anything. A nice spring day.

The first man I met on my mission waves at us from the front yard and says, "Hi, Elders! How's it going?" I'm still very new, so I just listen quietly while Elder Buttars talks with him. He offers us some ice water and tells us all about his neighbors. He tells who might be interested in hearing our message, how many kids in each family, and what their church background is. He asks us if there is anything he can do for us. We tell him that we are fine right now, thanks anyway. He says, "Well, I won't keep you guys any longer. If you ever need anything just stop by. You know where I live." After leaving I asked Elder Buttars, "So is that guy in our ward?" He said, "No, he's not even a member." I did a double take. "Not a member? Then why was he helping us out and stuff?" Elder Buttars said, "He's just a nice guy." That man wasn't interested in becoming a member, but he always helped the missionaries whenever they were in the neighborhood. I then realized that my time with Elder Buttars would be a series of unexpected events.

When I got my bike for the first time, I was a little shaky. Elder Buttars ran behind me holding onto the seat like a father helping a little kid who was going without training wheels for the first time, which I basically was.

We went to the zone leaders apt. today so Elder Buttars could say goodbye to them. While we were there, we got an unexpected phone call. It was Elder Bailey. "You can't write this stuff."

Elder Bailey said that he had burst some disks in his lower back. He won't be able to return to the mission field for at least 7 months. Elder Oram was very upset. That's his companion. His buddy.

We rode our bikes over to the Z.L.'s apt. I always carry my backpack or something to keep things in. Elder Buttars wanted to take a workout "toy" home that Elder Custer had made for him. It weighs 10 pounds. It is a broom handle wrapped in duct tape with a rope in the middle and a 10 pound weight tied on. Guess who got talked into carrying an extra 10 pounds home in his backpack?

That was tiring. Elder Buttars helped carry it the last half of the way home. When took my backpack and put it on himself, it was literally a weight being lifted off of my shoulders. I can see why they use that metaphor for repentance. When you give these problems to someone who is willing to carry them for you, the relief you feel in knowing, "I can go forward not having to deal with that burden anymore", that's the best feeling there is. That's what changes people's hearts. That what changes people's lives. It's that faith that leads to action. It's that action that leads to repentance. It's that repentance that leads to baptism.

The bottom line? I'm gonna miss you Elder Buttars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home