My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 66-Famous Sayings-06-02-06

Well, Elder Thatcher (from my MTC days) has made me famous throughout the Washington D.C. South mission. Yesterday, he was introducing me to the other missionaries from his zone. They said, "so this is Elder Pierce, the oil man." I'm not just, "the oil man". I'm "the Elder who walks on his toes", "the drawer" (artist, not chest of), "the history buff", "the sculpter", "the chronic journal writer", and "the quote-maker". ("Lovely titles"-Smaugg)

My quotes include, "I've got an oil for that!", "It's not food, it's 'amburgas.", "ya know, I'm in pretty good standing with the kitchen staff now. I could arrange for you to train in their meat locker.",and "All my thoughts float around in my head until they are caught by the dolphin-safe tuna net inside my mind." These are things I said at the MTC that Elder T. thought were funny. I'll explain the meaning behind some of these...

"I've got an oil for that" came about because whenever anyone at the MTC got a sore throat or a pain of any kind, I'd offer them some essential oils. Elder Thatcher liked the peppermint oil the best.

"It's not food, it's 'amberga's!"-I received a care package from home while at the MTC. My family made hamburgers and sushi for me. They were candy hamburgers made from Nilla wafers, Keebler Grasshoppers, green dyed coconut for lettuce, and stuff. The sushi was made from Rice Krispies wrapped in Fruit by the Foot with a piece of gummy worm in the middle. Anyway, it was delivered to me in our classroom. I started to eat some of the yummy treats my family made me, when Elder Thatcher, who was our district leader at the MTC, said to me, "Elder Pierce, there's no eating food in the classroom." I don't know why I said what I did, but in a British accent, with a mouthful of "hamburgers" I said, "It's not food, it's 'amburgas'." Elder Francom loved that. We'd be walking down the hall a week later and he'd say, "it's not food, it's 'amburga's". Just out of nowhere, and it'd put a smile on his face. I think it's funny, even if it does not make any sense.

"Ya, know, I'm in pretty good standing with the kitchen staff..." came from an incident that occurred with one of the missionaries. This saying needs the most back-story. The first part about the kitchen staff comes from the fact that I went where most missionaries only dream of going (haha)...the kitchen in the cafeteria. The staff got me the foil I needed to make my sculpture that resides at the MTC today. I also went to the heart of the MTC kitchen to bake my clay. I had permission of course. That's why it was well-known at the MTC that I was in good standing with the kitchen staff. I came and went as I pleased. They thought it was neat that I could sculpt and needed to use their ovens to bake it. Very nice people.

The person whom I offered to train in the meat locker was Elder Patton. In our dorms at the MTC one night, Elder Patton got into a fight. Some things were said by both parties that should not have been said. In the end, Elder Patton ended up in a headlock. His pride was hurt, that's all. Elder Patton had some anger management issues to work out. He felt that he was getting pushed around and did not like it. He was angry and did not know what to do with his anger, so he started doing push-ups.

I wanted to make it clear that the missionary Elder Patton got into it with was not from our district. We were all very good friends. This was just some missionary that liked to roughhouse. Having been next to my comp. and watching him get in a fight, I didn't know what to say to him. I figured I needed to say something. Watching him doing push-ups and muttering under his breath, reminded me of the movie, "Rocky". So off the cuff, I said, "Ya, know, Elder Patton, I'm in pretty good standing with the kitchen staff. I could maybe arrange for you to train in their meat locker."

That made Elder Patton laugh. He was still mad, but he could not help it. It just made him laugh out loud. After that, he wasn't mad about what happened anymore.

This next quote about the tuna net came about because Elder Thatcher asked me how I kept coming up with all of these funny quotes. I told him it was because I liked to read books and watch movies. Everything I've seen or heard is a thought in my mind. My brain is like the ocean. I then said, "All of my thoughts float around in my head until they are caught by the dolphin-safe tuna net inside my mind." Whenever I'd say something funny, Elder Thatcher would go, "Elder Pierce, you and your tuna nets are too much. It's just crazy." Elder Francom would then correct him. "Don't forget, they are dolphin-safe tuna nets."

We had a lot of fun with those catch-phrases and others too numerous to mention. MTC=Good Times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home