My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Day 86-Day of the Mulberry Part II - Give Me a Break-(see Day 69)-06-22-06

We taught S. today. She was concerned about how she thinks that we are putting our faith in men, in prophets instead of Jesus Christ. She said, "for all the times we've talked together, you talk about Joseph Smith more than Jesus."

Elder Davis said, "Well, let me ask you this. Do you have faith in Jesus Christ?" "Yes." "Do you believe that He is the Savior and redeemer of the world?" "Yes." "I can see that you have a strong faith in our Savior and His Atonement. It's because of that that our message to you is about the Restoration. You already have faith in Jesus Christ..." Then I jumped in, "You have the cornerstone (Ephesians 2:19-20) We are here to bring you the rest of the foundation."

We've been going around in circles with S. about faith without works. My mom sent me some talks about faith without works. I'll read over them so hopefully I can help S. to understand that faith without works is dead.

A lot of things came full circle today. We were heading home from our meeting with S. at the Hatch's house. Every time we head home from where S. is, we pass by the house where a less-active member lives. His name is Brother G. He is a nice, older gentleman. He's black, in his late 70's and a convert for 12 years. He was sealed to his wife in the temple for time and all eternity. She passed away two years ago. Bro. G. hasn't been able to come to church for a while because of his bad back. We usually go over once a week and share a spiritual message.

That is where I went on exchanges (day 78). I needed to teach a discussion to a less active member as a part of my certification. It's amazing how Heavenly Father works. We talked to Bro. G. about the laws and ordinances of the gospel. He bore his testimony of temple work and eternal marriage. It was so touching. The spirit was felt so strong at that meeting. It's just what he needed to hear, how much the church cares for all of its members. It's just what I needed, too. To hear his testimony of how much the church means to him. It was a great experience.

Bro. G.'s house is the first house on the left of the mulberry tree where we talked to T. (day 69). So, anyway, we're heading home for dinner. I pass by Bro. G's house; past the mulberry tree and then I hear a crash. I look behind me and there is Elder Davis sprawled out on the sidewalk, the wheels of his bike spinning futiley in the air.

My first thought as I walked up to Elder Davis was of the scarecrow form the Wizard of Oz. After the flying monkeys came and kidnapped Dorothy, they roughed up her friends and the scarecrow ended up ripped apart. "They took my arm and they threw it over there! And they took my legs and threw them over there!" Well, that's you all over."

Before you start to panic, Elder Davis' arms and legs are still attached. He was just lying on the ground looking up at me. Thank goodness he had a helmet on. "Can you get up?", I asked. "Gimme a minute." So I waited. While Elder Davis was lying there, I gathered up the contents of his pockets and set his bike upright. "Are you okay?", I asked. Elder Davis had a bright red gash on his right forearm. "You need a band-aid?" "Maybe later."

About this time a car pulled up. There was a nice woman who saw our plight and wanted to see if there was anything she could do to help. "Do you need a doctor?", she asked. "Maybe a ride to our apartment", Elder Davis moaned. We got my companion to his feet. His whole body was sore. I took our bikes to Bro. G.s house. He said that he was honored to watch them for us. We'll get them tomorrow. Good thing he was so close. Then this nice lady gave us a ride home. On our way, she told us that she was on her way to Richmond, saw us and knew that she had to help. She told us the reason that she was going to Richmond was...brace yourself...a Jehovah's Witness convention. That's right. Our ride home was a J-Dub. Very funny, Heavenly Father. I get the joke, I think. It's amazing how all of these different things come together. How ironic.

We're at the urgent care right now. Bro. B. dropped us off. Great man, Brother B. Elders Spencer and Goodrich just showed up, so Bro. B. went home. It's getting late. It's almost 10:00 at night. We're still waiting. We've been at the hospital for 2 hours now.

Here's why Elder Davis crashed: He told me that he saw the mulberry tree up ahead. He thought, "I'll bet I can pluck a mulberry from that tree while biking." He tried to grab one, lost control of his bike and crashed. (You two're dumber than a bag of hammers." Everett O, Brother Where Art Thou) The funny thing is, after he crashed I went over to the tree and picked a handful of mulberries. "Hey, Elder Davis, do you want a mulberry?" I said. He moaned and groaned. All because of the want of a mulberry.

I'm tired. I might write in here later tonight, but I think I'll take a break.

The time: 11:40 pm The place: the Emergency Room. I should be asleep by now. It's pouring rain outside. It just started a little while ago. Heavy winds. Thunder and lightening. It's very peaceful. Maybe it's just me.

It's now 12:20am. Still at the hospital. We've been here 4 1/2 hours.

Unbelievable! He broke his left wrist and BOTH his elbows. Because of the want of a mulberry. I am in shock.

We're still at the hospital. They are putting a cast and a sling on each of my companions arms. I looked back to day 82 of my journal. I wrote that I thought something big was going to happen this week. This is not what I had in mind. I don't get some things and how they work out. The time is now 1:05am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home