My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Day 87-The Doctor's Office-6-23-06

On the way home from the hospital last night there was an amazing lightening show. The sky was constantly illuminated with bolts of light shooting across the air. It was very surreal. The ZL's dropped us off at our apartment about 1:30am. We proceeded to get ready for bed. I helped my companion into bed, tucked him in and I promptly fell asleep. Because we did not get in until late last night we were both allowed to sleep in today. My companion had a hard time getting to sleep last night. I can't imagine why!

He's been making calls all morning trying to get an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. It's kind of funny to watch. He can't hold the phone in his hands, so he lays it on the table and leans over the phone to talk into it. I came up and offered to help make the calls. We talked to Sister B. (mission pres. wife) and she helped to make some calls.

We got an appointment for today! The problem is that we need a ride and the ZL's are out doing service. They should be back in an hour. Whoo-hoo we got a ride with Elder Chacon and Elder McKnight, the Spanish-speaking elders. They are on their way right now.

We are on our way to the emergency care center. While we were waiting, we taught these construction workers about the Book of Mormon. They'd been making improvements to the sidewalks of our apartment complex. Nice guys. We gave them each a Book of Mormon. They seemed very interested and promised to read it. I told them if they had any questions to call us. Missionaries are never off duty.

Okay, we got Elder Davis' x-rays and are now in the waiting room of Dr. M. I don't know how long it will take before he can see Elder Davis. We've been waiting a while. I guess now is just as good a time as any to go over some topics I've been meaning to address.

I'll talk about some of my favorite past experiences with Elder Davis not already mentioned in my journal. I think it's ironic that my "mission breaker" (remember Elder Buttars was my first companion and my mission trainer. He said that my next companion would be my mission breaker and break the "traditions" that I had established with him. I would then find my own style) broke both arms. I joked with him that he's the Davis de Milo. He takes it all in good humor.

I'll talk about my morning exercise with Elder Davis. Back when Elder Davis had working arms, we'd always go running in the mornings. At least once a week we go to a smoothie shop. We order a small smoothie and walk back to our apartment talking about our plans for the day. The last time we went, we were walking back and we saw these two young men heading our way. As we passed, I smiled and waved to them as is my custom. They looked at me funny. I then realized that I was not in my suit and tie. I was in my workout clothes. No wonder they looked at me funny. I told Elder Davis that it felt weird being out in something other than my church clothes. I feel like Clark Kent. You've gotta wonder if Clark Kent ever walks down the street and forgets that people don't know that he's Superman.

Okay, the word came back from the doctor. Apparently, my companion only broke 1 of his arms. The right arm is just badly bruised. The left arm is broken in 2 places, at the wrist and the elbow. Elder Davis was told that he should be healed in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure about that, but hopefully that will be the case.

We are back at our apartment now. The ZL's gave us a ride back. The Spanish Elders had things to do. Elder Davis is going to lie down for a while. I was asked by Elder Spencer to clean up our apartment while my comp is recovering, so I'll go ahead and tackle that. Then maybe I can write some more in my journal.

Well, I got some things put away and organized. The room looks a little nicer. Tomorrow I'm going on my exchange with Elder Oram. My, how the tables have turned. Elder Phelps will stay with my companion so I can do my work. It seems like only yesterday that I was helping Elder Oram in Reston because of his companions sore back. I wonder if all Zones in the mission are this accident prone?

I'm a little tired. It's been a strange couple of days. Hopefully, tomorrow things will get back to their normal order. (Don't hold your breath)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home