My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Day 88-Jail Time-06-24-06

Well, here it is, June 24th, Pioneer Day. My companions arm is still broken. The ward members are at the temple today, so we don't have an exchange. W., T. and A. don't have baptismal dates, so that is how things stand now.

Good news, though. We got a call from A.'s mom. She wants us to come over and talk to her tonight. Wow. I don't know what to make of that myself to tell ya the truth. We'll just have to see what she wants. I hope A. did not get into trouble. He's been avoiding us so that he can hang out with friends that have questionable reputations. Who knows...maybe A. will be there. I don't mean to sell him short.

Elder Oram and Elder Phelps came by today to pay their respects to my crippled companion. My afflicted amigo. My fractured friend. My battered and bruised buddy. What was I talking about Oh, yeah! Exchanges. Elder Phelps stayed with my companion while Elder Oram and I went to teach T.

T. I can't believe that I'm only now getting around to mentioning her here. I could fill up page after page of things about T. Let's see...Sister T. B. is a recent convert to the church. She's been investigating the church since 2002, but did not get baptized until just last year. She had a lot of questions. She still does. She knows that the church is true. She just has lots of doctrinal questions that she would like to answer for herself. She has a hunger for spiritual knowledge. As a missionary, I love this.

I first met with T. in mid-May with my first comp., Elder Buttars. She is black, divorced, with three kids. Her children are grown for the most part. Her youngest son is 17. More on him later. She has two grandchildren that live with her. T. is so sweet and kind. I don't have one bad thing to say about her. She thinks I'm precious.

T.'s son is in jail. He was arrested a month ago for armed robbery. He did not have a criminal record until this. He along with two other young men in their early 20's robbed a service station at gun point. Sister B. was in shock when she found out. She went to visit him the next day. He wasn't sorry! He said that they would have gotten away with it if they would have had a car. That's right. These three jokers robbed the store and left on foot. He was arrested within the hour.

T's glad that her son is in jail. "At least he can't harm innocent people", she said. Don't get her wrong. She loves her son. It's just now he's in a position where he might listen to the missionaries. She is hoping he'll have a change of heart. It might take some time. T. called the Starbuck's where he'd been working and told them that he would not be back because he had been arrested. "Arrested!" said the manager, "but I didn't press charges." "What?!" said Sister B. As it turns out, a week before the convenience store robbery, her son had stolen $400 from the Starbuck's where he worked. He was caught on camera. The manager did not ask for the money. He just told her son not to come back.

So now, thinking that he can get away with anything, he goes and robs a convenience store and walks out with $500. He was not able to spend it, however...

Speaking of people who are in jail...we stopped by A.'s. His mom was waiting for us. Apparently, A is in jail. His fiance accused him of robbing her. It's a long story, but I think A is innocent. We'll have to wait and see. My companion and I will try to go visit A in jail. Today was pretty busy. Tomorrow is Sunday. We got a lot done today. I'm sleepy. I'm going to bed now. 'Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home