My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Flying to D.C.

Day 22-Departing theMTC-Arriving Washington D.C. South-April 19, 2006

THE OUTSIDE WORLD!!! OH, NO!!! TURN THE BUS AROUND!!!

After three weeks in the Lord's own gated community, I'd kind of forgotten the outside world. We are now headed to the airport. As of this writing it is now 5:45am. It doesn't feel like I've been up for two hours, but I have.

And now a few words about luggage. The name itself is comprised of two words that describe it's defining characteristics. "Lug" meaning to drag around and "gage" meaning to gauge the weight of your luggage to make sure it stays under that magic number of 50 pounds.

Preparing my luggage for air travel is a joke. I weigh 135 pounds. My two large bags that I have to check are straddling the 50 pound mark as it is. I think I have gotten both of them down to 49 9/10ths of a pound. When you couple that with my 20 pound back pack and my 35 pound carry on, that about 155 pounds of luggage that I am carrying to the airport! Twenty pounds more than what I weigh in luggage!

Of course, when I get to the airport, I'll check in my two large bags. That way, I'll only be lugging aroud 55 pounds of luggage. I wish my carry-on had wheels. I don't expect my backpack to, but without wheels I sort of feel like a pack mule.

I am so tired right now. I got less than 5 hours of sleep last night. I don't want to take a nap, though. This is my best chance to fill up my journal. I can always sleep when I get off my mission.

Oh, speaking of sleep, that reminds me of something Elder T. said at the farewell testimony meeting 2 nights ago. This is a quote he heard somewhere about missionary work. "Serve your mission in such a way so that when you wake up each day the devil is sure to say, "Oh, no. He's awake!" I thought that was pretty cool.

We are now arriving at the terminal. I'll write more on the plane.

I now know why when there is nothing else a doctor can do to save a patient, it's called a terminal. After we got to the airport, I got my luggage out and headed inside. It was pretty uneventful for me. Elder T. had his problems, however. He left his garment bag with all of his suits back at the baggage check. He did not realize this until after he had seated himself on the plane. He had to run back to the front of the airport to get it. Fortunately, it was right where he left it. I was a little surprised that he was able to get it back so easily, what with tighter airport security and all.

This is a four hour flight. As of this writing, we are now entering the Colorado airspace. There is about 3 1/2 hours left, so I should be able to get some writing done, unless I fall asleep, which I just might...

Since I've got some time, I'll finish up Brother C.'s talk from Easter Sunday. I'll pick it up from near the end where he's talking about how Peter and John ran to the tomb: "Do you know who was older?" "Peter or John?" (pause) "If you said Peter, you are right. Peter was older and John was the young guy so he got a little ahead. But when he got to the tomb, he didn't go in. John did not go in. Why? Well, because he wanted to wait for Peter. You see, John knew that this was pretty important. A big deal. They were about to see a miracle, and he wanted Peter to see it with him. I think he also waited for Peter because he wasn't sure what they would find there. If he ran in first, Peter might have thought that he disturbed the tomb or messed up something. So he waited to go in together. When they saw that the tomb was empty, they were so happy. They were happy because they knew that the Savior had risen. They went straight away to tell the people. He is risen!"

Brother C. then talked about what he thought the judgment would be like, which I already wrote, so I won't repeat it.

He also talked about wayward spirits: "I'm sure we've all heard the story of how when people die and cross over to the spirit world, the Savior is waiting there for them to lead them to spirit paradise. The one's that never knew the Savior just walk past Him to Spirit Prison. The one's that know the Savior will run into His arms because they recognize their Lord. "

Brother C. said, "That may be how it happens, but here is what I think: I think it will be like the prodigal son. I think the Savior is going to see those wayward souls, and loving them so much, run to them just like the father of the prodigal, throw His arms around them, give them a big, warm hug and say, It's all right. I know you were rebellious once."

Brother C.'s talk was really good. He has a way with words that really makes me think. He closed with a scripture that I have come to love. D&C 45:3-5. "Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him-saying : Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified; Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life. " It is all about the judgment. I'm thinking of maybe incorporating it into my lesson plan.

Brother C. helps me to look at the scriptures in a new way. Brother Cl. on the other hand, is the man to go to if you want answers to doctrinal questions. Brother Cl. is the first counselor or our branch presidency. He knows his scriptures. He gave a talk in priesthood on Easter Sunday. I will try to reconstruct his talk.

Brother Cl.'s priesthood lesson: "Down south in the Bible belt on my mission in Arkansas, I got into a lot of debates with people over the Bible. It invited the spirit of contention and we left with bad feelings. Now, we don't want you elders getting into bible-bashing, but you do need to know the answers to the questions and where to find them".

Brother Cl. talked about Matt. 17: 9-13. It is a great restoration scripture because it talks about Jesus telling his disciples that Elias shall come to restore all things; and about how Elias was rejected just like the Savior would be rejected; and how Elias was John the Baptist; and we know that Elias came to Joseph Smith, so that is pretty cool.

He also urged us to remember to keep things in their proper context. He told us how, when you teach, make sure you explain the scripture. Don't just read it. And if you ever get a scripture used against you, make sure you know the context.

That's all for now.

I'll write more later.

Love,

Elder Pierce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home