My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Snow Day and Greg Olsen

Day 9 - MTC April 6, 2006

It's snowing! It feels like Christmas! Of course it helps that I brought out my Christmas cd's. Elder P. and I are walking around the snowy MTC saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone we pass. I really feel happy just because it is snowing and I've got Christmas music.

Today is P-day so we get to do laundry. That is where I am writing from. I guess I need to back track a bit. Two days ago we had a fireside with guest speaker LDS artist Greg Olsen. It was really cool because he used all these art terms and analogies.

He told a story of when the Ensign called him late one night and asked him if he would make a new painting for the cover of the Ensign. He asked how much time he had. They gave him just three days. He did not know why, but he said yes. As soon as he hung up the phone he wanted to call back and say he just could not do it. I am happy to say that Brother Olsen rose to the challenge and decided to do the assignment.

He then set to work on a painting of Jesus Christ walking to Emmaus with some of his apostles. He always gets people to model for him with costumes and props. This time, however, he didn't have time to cast, so he just got some of his friends who have beards to come over. For costumes he asked them to bring bed sheets and towels.

So, he went to his front lawn with his video camera to record his friends walking down the street in their costumes. It was getting dark. He was losing his light. He told his friends to head on home. He thought as he walked into his house that this was going to be a tough assignment to finish on time, but at least he had some footage to work off of.

Just then, his wife came running to him. "Greg, you won't believe what I just saw", she said. "There I was washing the dishes when I looked out the window and I saw Him!" "Who?", he asked. "Jesus and His Apostles. I thought it must be the Second Coming or something! And then I saw you and your silly camera." "My wife was a little upset with me for getting her hopes up", he said.

Then he talked about wouldn't it be the best if we could all get that feeling that his wife felt, just for a moment. To think, "the Savior is here! I'm ready to meet Him."

The quote he gave at the end of his talk, I really liked. He said, "You will meet the savior in the people you come in contact with. You will see it in their faces. You will see it in their countenances. "

His tips for how best to represent the savior are: First: portray Him as a man's man. He can still sit and play with children. Just make sure there is hidden strength in His eyes. Second: Portray Him as one who was ordinary. This confused me at first, but he said it was because He would not stand out in a crowd based on his appearance. He had pretty plain features. It was what He did that made him special.

Well, for a P-day, it was very busy. We are going to the Provo Temple soon, so I'll write about that later.

Good night,

Elder Pierce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home