My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Day 23-Out in the field-Muslims and Napoleon Dynamite

I got up at 6:00 am, gathered all of my things and went to the church with all of the other new missionaries.
We were given a list of things to do to become senior companions. It was a long list... I mean, we're talking hard. I can't wait to jump in and do it, though. If video games taught me nothing else, (and they haven't), it's that it's important to meet your goals.

I got my first companion today. His name is Elder Buttars. I'll write more about him as I get to know him better.

If all mission days are as busy as today, I am definitely going to be writing a lot less. I got a bike. It is used, but sturdy enough to last my mission, hopefully. I'm still trying to get the hang of riding it. To use a biking metaphor, it's an uphill battle. I never metaphore I didn't like.
Today, though, before I got my bike, we went tracting. One of the first people we talked to was a Muslim family. Talk about a hard sale to make. The father invited us in to talk. He wasn't very interested in Christianity. When we gave him a pamphlet on the restoration of the gospel, he commented on the cover. "That's a picture of Jesus? What, they had cameras back then?" You see, in Islam they don't have pictures of Mohammed the prophet. They say they don't see him out of reverence. I tried to explain that it was just an artist's interpretation of the Savior. I get it though. Camera's back then. Ha ha. We've got the next Jerry Seinfeld here, folks.

Then he talked about the Koran and the prophet Mohammed and how the last communication between a prophet and God happened in 632 a.d. I got my very own copy of the Koran, though. The thing is, you have to kiss it before you read it and your right hand always has to hold it. You can't just hold it in your left hand, which is bad. It's discrimination against Southpaws. That is what it is!

On a slightly amusing note...in the living room where we talked, I looked around and saw a humble, respectful Islamic home with rugs on the walls and such, then I noticed their computer. I'm not making this up. Their computer wall paper was Napoleon Dynamite. It showed him doing one of his sweet moves. So, now, when I think of that family, father, mother, and three sons ages 7,5, and 1 1/2 , I'll think of them saying their evening prayers to Allah and then watching Napoleon Dynamite as a family. Don't tell me the church does not affect people. Sure it's only Napoleon Dynamite, but it's a start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home