My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a homeschooling mother of five. Four graduates and one to go. I have been married to my dear husband for 31 years this October. WoW! I love talking about home schooling, essential oils, growing your own garden and other things related to health. I'm a city girl living in the country. I love both lives.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Day 24- Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Elder Pierce's hands are all puckered...Do you know why? Did he just get out of the shower after a long, hard day of missionary work? ...No. Did he get wet washing cars as a service project? ...No. Is he wet from baptizing a new convert into the church?...NO. No, Elder Pierce is wet because he has been tracting in the rain. All afternoon. And evening. Going all over town. Crashing in to various trees and fences because he has yet to learn the value of turning.

His companion, Elder Buttars is a good sport about it, though. He pauses and waits while his greenie companion rights himself. Elder Pierce says he is lucky to have a trainer like Elder Buttars. He's been a real role model to Elder Pierce. Elder Buttars says, "Elder Pierce is one of the most mature missionaries I've seen in a while." Elder Buttars says, "Elder Pierce teaches a lot more than most greenies he knows. Most new missionaries will sit and let you teach the whole lesson", says Elder Buttars. We are now tired of talking in the third person.

The annoying thing was not the rain. Though, believe me, it's no picnic. No. The annoying thing was that all of the people my companion had scheduled for us to talk to were not home. You think of missionaries, or at least I did, talking to people, handing out books of Mormon, getting a few doors slammed in their faces. I never imagined what it would be like to pedal through the pouring rain on bikes across town to visit someone you made an appointment with; someone you want to share a message with about the gospel of Jesus Christ; someone who might want to be baptized after hearing your message and praying, only to find out he is not home.

You knock and you wait. You knock and wait some more. There is no answer. You sigh and turn to leave. You get your rainsoaked body back on your bike and go to your next appointment and you hope they are home.

I am getting a little better at riding my bike. Very little. After a week or so, I should be a stronger biker. Read Ether 12:27 ("And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weaknesses. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, then will I make weak things strong unto them.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home